World Science Scholars

1.4 The Case for Dark Matter

discussion Discussion
Note

Discussions are a place where registered users can click on Reply to share their ideas and questions that follow from the material we’re covering. All users can view the conversation and indicate their like or dislike for a specific comment.

Viewing 18 reply threads
    • Dark matter is known to exist primarily because of its large-scale gravitational effects. Nothing is definitively known about the particle or particles that compose the dark matter. How likely do you think it is that an understanding of the particle nature of dark matter can be reached on Earth? Why?

• I consider it unlikely that dark matter could be a particle, given the contents of the Standard Model and the decades of intensive research (theory und experiments) since the assumption of unseen matter, added by the discovery via the HST that there are about ten times more galaxies in our universe than previously estimated. So, there IS matter that had not been seen so far. (First line of argument.)
      Then, it has been an assumption that Kepler’s laws would apply to large objects (a reasonable one, but an assumption nonetheless). There are different theories around that don’t share that assumption, and one of the most convincing one is MOND (by Milgrom). Very strong evidence, added by explanations for observations that cannot be done otherwise. (Second line of qrgument.)
      As a “jury member”, my vote would be against dark matter.

• Let’s keep an open mind

• I’m still looking at other alternate theories on the existence of dark matter such as MOND to explain galactic phenomena but let’s keep and open mind about this topic

• I’m starting to doubt the “particle” dark matter myself, too, although maybe it is an LSP (Lightest Supersymmetric Particle). What if it’s something like primordial black holes? Or maybe gravity behaves differently on larger scales (although this doesn’t explain the bullet cluster). Or maybe there’s a higher-dimensional “stuff” of some kind that we only see through its gravitational effects. I don’t know.

• “Stuff” in your last line sounds to me like a description of “Dark Matter” only seen with gravitation, just an observation from an old retired coal miner.

• Dark matter is likely to exist with the big bang, I estimate. When the earth was in its formation process the dark matter already covers it.

• To me, the most striking piece of evidence is the fact of lensing.
      However, unless I completely misunderstood the explanation, in the summary of the video it says `This lensing would not be possible if galaxies did contain large quantities of dark matter whose enormous mass acts as a gravitational lens on passing light.´ Shouldn´t it say íf galaxies did NOT contain large quantities of dark matter´?
      I´d be grateful if somebody could enlighten me on this.

• Hi Inés, great to see someone is paying attention ;o) !!
        You are absolutely correct in stating that there needs to be another “not” to make the sentence correct.
        A good example that it is likely to fall into a trap when using too many negative annotations (“not … not”) ;o).

• Q. “How likely do you think it is that an understanding of the particle nature of dark matter can be reached on Earth? Why?”
      A. Not in the foreseeable future because it does not exist inside solar systems. also… Are there other particles in our dimension/reality that do not have or interact with electromagnetics? I assume that answer is no and so I would say no to this theory of what people claim to be dark matter making up 25% of our Universe. It seems to me there are forces outside our own dimension at play, take the spin difference from solar system to galaxies as an example that dark matter is exclusively on the outside of galaxies and does not exist inside or around solar systems. It is fascinating, so much that I watched all the video segments multiple times, trying to be a good juror… My feeling this is either a force outside our dimension aka a “god touch” like inflation or multiple forces inside our dimension that we simply do not yet have the technology to view. How could one using electromagnetic based technology see that which does not interact with it? Must be some way more conclusive than measuring the Universe and concluding 2 things make up 90% of our reality and they are invisible to us. I suspect my lack of math and physics skill limits my observation though. Thanks again for making this course!

• I think as I studied we can search for dark matter using
      –direct methods such as preparing a target in a very controlled environment eliminating other perturbations that may affect the experiment and waiting for a dark matter candidate to hit it and from the scattering maybe we can probe these particles. photons inside a cavity in a strong magnetic field interacting with other photons, axion could be there.

–also indirect methods via telescopes

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

The liklihood of reaching an understanding of the dark matter particle on earth is not as good as in space.

For Dark matter to be more prevalent in regions outside those cleared by planetary orbit gatherings, we need to look beyond the solar system.

At scalar levels, this means no planetary or solar level.

That leaves a stellar, galactic, local cluster and super cluster level option.

With plasma particle accelerators we may see better science on this.

The gravity lensing would indicate if a solar level of observervation is possible, it will occur in the Oort cloud region, or the bow shock region for the travels of the solar system.

The pathway development of the dark matter shows a concentration level best suited to perform more accurate guesstimates on dark matter.

• Dark matter does not interact with the electromagnetic spectrum. This means we won`t find it on earth due to atmospheric filters.

• However, Ladies and Gentlemen, if we do find Dark Matter on earth, or on planetary proximities, it will occur in polar regions.

The are cold enough.

Dark matter needs to be cold.

Often the circumpolar regions are a study in an outter-space biome.

We will find dark matter there if any place.

The solarwind/plasmaswirl effluent of the sun may interfere with the extreme cold required.

http://www.clgurbin.weeby

• If Dark matter is present everywhere then why its presence won’t see in the solar system why further planets are orbiting slower why is the idea of the dark matter won’t applicable in the solar system also if dark matter can interact with gravity then why won’t it could interact with ordinary matter?

• Dark matter as SuperFluid Hydrogen (Prof. Khoury at WSU)

Is too warm inside the frostline/snowline of the area inside Jupiter`s orbit.

This is the area strongly influenced by the Solar plasma swirl (aka-solarwind).

Outside the Solar System frostline however, the metallic hydrogen cores of Jupiter and other planets may indicate the Dark Matter is prevalent.

This material needs to be cold to work.

The inner solar system is too warm, and the outter region to the Kuiper belt may also be too warm from the Solar Plasm Swirl (solarwind- Parker`s name for the region inside the Venus orbit of his target study, only.)

• also, the bowshock occuring on the solar system may occur at a larger scale for the entire Milky Way.

The Dark matter congeels the single galaxies- not multiple. This may be due to strength of structural integrity.

When there is a bowshock, there is a boundary. Inside the galactic boundary of the Milky Way, there may also be a temperature factor occuring.

Prof. Veronik Hubeny talks of a conforming halo. It may be out of place here, but it is a good concept to consider.

🙂

• WSU!
      WSU!
      WSU!
      🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend