World Science Scholars

1.4 Working with Spiders

discussion Discussion
Viewing 14 reply threads
    • What is an experiment you would conduct with spiders in a lab and what would you hope to learn?

• Ffjf

• Amino acids as the building block for the silk protein are generally colorless. Is there any way that a spider could be genetically modified, or somehow the prey be injected with something that would result in the spider producing a web with different colored silk? I would then love to learn if this has any implications on the web structure (both integrity and its ability to attract prey) when compared to a normal web.

• brilliant! id love to see that as well

• I would look at other environmental conditions, like in nature. Change elements like humidity, heat, wind and see if there are changes in web design.

• I wonder if there were 2 spiders in the frame, would they cooperate?

• I wonder what role frequencies play (if any)in the tautness and placement of thread? Peter Witt at NCState did experiments about spiders recognizing the difference between prey hitting the web and a raindrop hitting it.

• I d like to learn how a spider reacts when a portion/strand of the web is disrupted. Would it mend the damaged portion or knit additional support structures.

• The difference in terms of spider web chemical composition depending on which kind of spyder did it, I guess. Also, what if we change the enviormental temperature or humidity or pressure?

• Amino acids as the building block for the silk protein are generally colorless. Is there any way that a spider could be genetically modified, or somehow the prey be injected with something that would result in the spider producing a web with different colored silk? I would then love to learn if this has any implications on the web structure (both integrity and its ability to attract prey) when compared to a normal web.

• Spider eats prey and process of making slik start in spider body, I would like to see the detailed video on how skil is made from spider.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

An experiment to construct on a lab with a spider is to time how long it takes to build its web.

I would put the spider in a box with a glass top.

I would swat flies and open the glass lid on occassion to feed the flies, and count the ones fed.

Over the course of days or hours, i would wait until the spider seems to have finished a web before ending the experiment.

• I would like to see the visual representation of web formation.

• Amino acids as the building block for the silk protein are generally colorless. Is there any way that a spider could be genetically modified, or somehow the prey be injected with something that would result in the spider producing a web with different colored silk? I would then love to learn if this has any implications on the web structure (both integrity and its ability to attract prey) when compared to a normal web

• good

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend