World Science Scholars

1.6 The Size of Our Cosmos

discussion Discussion
Note

Discussions are a place where registered users can click on Reply to share their ideas and questions that follow from the material we’re covering. All users can view the conversation and indicate their like or dislike for a specific comment.

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • The sheer enormity of the cosmos is highlighted in this Master Class. Some thinkers believe this makes us minuscule in comparison. Is the human race insignificant in the grand scheme of things? Explain your answer.

• EVERYTHING STARTS FROM INSIGNICANCE. JUST LIKE THE UNIVERSE I BELIEVE THAT HUMANS WILL EXPAND TOO significance:>

• The way that I see it is that the human race in terms of the infinitely large universe can be comprehended to be insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But if we look at it from our standpoint, we can see that what we have discovered is significant to us.

• What is the substance that makes up the inflationary model?

• Human race and whole earth is miniscule from the perspective of whole cosmos. But from our perspective it’s all and everything; it’s all what we have!

• Whether we are insignificant to something else that exists outside of our small piece of space is irrelevant; because, until we are aware of their existence, we are the only inhabitants of our kind in the entire known reality. Therefore, logically, we have to be the most significant creation. I believe that God is our creator and science will one day catch up with its perspectives and experimentation to prove that everything God has told us since the beginning of time is factually true. This means when God said he created man in His own likeness, he gave us the ultimate significance – even more important than all of the angels that came before us. I am excited to one day be a part of the original energy stream that is God’s consciousness.

• I will believe you if you show me who created god.

• The fragility of human life on external factors e.g asteroid impact, unanticipated planetary collision e.t.c significantly weakens your proposition on human beings being the most significant creation. Nature, from my point of view, doesn’t make a mistake in the occurrence of its phenomena. As evolutionary biology proposes, chances of us being here for this whole time have been propelled by sheer luck and significantly more on our inability to comprehend the uncertainty that lies outside this rock. Right now, 21st century, we can see the imminent danger/advantages we might have towards the cosmos which certainly doesn’t conform to our expectations as “superior beings”. Let’s not be delusional.

• only time will tell.

• One can say that we are mere specks in the cosmos or that we are the very center of it. These seemingly opposite views do not necessarily contradict each other. Does the cosmos as it is known to us, we mere specks at this point in time and space even exist outside of our consciousness; our observation, our theories, and ever changing understanding of it. The cosmos is not something “out there”….we are part of the cosmos too.

• Our place in the cosmos is clearly not central. Among gazillions of stars, planets, and hopefully other life forms, we are just another primitive entity. But even if the universe doesn’t care about us doesn’t mean we are insignificant. As we continue to explore the unexplored, we also expand our horizons of comprehending the incomprehensible.

• It was cool to know about the sheer scale and origin of the universe. A lot of cosmology is theoretical and it’s interesting to study different theories and their implications.

• I think we are absolutely significant and Max summarized that perfectly. I like the metaphor of a very big, boring tree that makes an extremely beautiful, small flower. That flower is us and life on Earth. Would you say that the flower is insignificant? Or that the flower is the most significant part of the entire tree? Also the fact that we are conscious beings makes the most difference in my books – consciousness is needed in order for anything to be significant, as it is significant to that consciousness.

• the earth life system and especially the human’s brain capable of exploring and understanding the universe are the most complex things we know in the whole observable universe. of course the Earth life capable of doing the most complex things cannot be insignificant for understanding the universe. it’s vice versa — life is the most important phenomenon for understanding the universe which we poorly understood at present.

• The human race is not insignificant in the grand scheme of things

• I think I understand Max to say that we are not insignificant because we are able to see and understand the observable universe (i.e. we give meaning to the universe). That really resonates with me. But what I’m most hopeful about, is that we are not the only ones who can and/or do see the universe. I’m hopeful that somewhere in the cosmos there is a vastly smarter and more civilized life form that better understands and gives deeper meaning to the universe’s grand design.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

The concept of how we may owe our tech level to others without telescope tech levels is valid.

And so, as they eat us we can take pleasure in helping them.

So we see what we need is to keep allies on Sirius and Andromena in their pens.

The human race is not insignificant, but the attempt to enslave us needs to end.

We were all fortunate Garibaldi helped end slavery during 1863 to 1867. The Vatican and Napoleon III would have kept the old Louisiana Purchase as a region of Catholic slavery.

We are not insignificant, but we need to more closely define the evil that is.

Robert A. Monroe of http://www.monroeinstitute.org was a pioneer to discover the universe, affordably.

He had very little cabin fever.

The concept of duty towards other life is a concept, but we need freedom also to perform such a task.

Garibaldi allowed that to happen.

He was not American, but he occupied the enemy while freedom occured.

We have no choice any longer. I am in Canada, but outsiders call us North Americans, and so we are.

• As has been observed here by many commentators, we are anthropically significant. This should not be a surprise. It seems that it should be self evident and axiomatic. It has also been observed here that we are, more than mere observers of our univers, an integral part of our univers. We are, from this perspective, what must exists in order for a univers to contemplate inself. From this perspective, it is not we who are significant but, perhaps, it is our univers itself that is significant enough to have become self-aware by way of possessing the needed charactoristics for us to have evolved therein.

• We are as insignificant as significant is a single drop of water in the pacific ocean. If we isolate, we are nothing. If we can combine, we are the ocean. Human race needs many many millions of years of evolution in order to be able to combine. Hence we still always think in an anthropic style and not in a universe style, whatever that means…

• If we think of our human scale as the starting point and look only outward, towards the heavens, we can either feel small, insignificant and deflated, or we can choose to be awed at being invited to the party to enjoy all this incredible majesty. But we can also turn the telescope around and look inward, at our incredible biology. In the early 20th century, the Russian chemist and biologist Alexander Oparin suggested that life was less about the substances from which our bodies are made and more about their exquisite organization. We now understand so much about our biochemistry, down to the genes that spiral in our DNA and roam in our RNA and the remarkable way proteins and other structures literally dance inside us. But pressing further still, I believe we’ll discover that neurons aren’t just “gross” structures that engage in binary excitations but are, in fact, quantum transducers that act with the same kind of precision we see in the choreography of DNA and proteins, performing as yet hidden acts of astonishing quantum computation and regulation, and that the familiar activities of the nervous system and other complex pathways in the body will turn out to be just the tip of the iceberg. If we turn the telescope around and look within, not only inside our own bodies but throughout the ecosystems and geosystems of the living Earth, we’ll find ourselves not at the beginning of infinity but smack dab in the middle. And what could be more inspiring than being born to count backwards from infinity while all around us the stars, galaxies, and the fabric of space are counting forwards? Humbled? Yes. Awed? Yes. Overwhelmed? Not while our minds continue to march along this magnificent path of discovery! But hey, that’s just my two divided by zero cents.

• Significantly insignificant, to the extent that we become very significant. I think of all the things we see that have no e intelligence, vs. all the things with, and putting that into the equation we seem very significant. Just a thought from an old retired coal miner.

• The universe is very huge and needs a lot of study

• its all illution

• Only humans think they are significant, no other species does.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend