World Science Scholars

1.7 Definitions of Life

discussion Discussion
Note

Discussions are a place where registered users can click on Reply to share their ideas and questions that follow from the material we’re covering. All users can view the conversation and indicate their like or dislike for a specific comment.

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Do you think that even broad definitions of life, like the NASA definition, can sufficiently describe every possible type of life? Or do you think that there might be alien biologies that do not fit the mold of “chemical systems capable of Darwinian evolution”? Explain your answer.

• Gbbf ggg. Ggv

• The definition of self sustained chemical systems cabable of Darwinian evolution fits quite well to different circumstances. It should be such that whenever it is satisfied, there really is life there. I don’t know any better definition or criteria.

• The NASA definition well fits and encompasses all life forms we observe on our planet (considering viruses as non-living). However, this definition cannot be considered universal for we are not yet aware of any extraterrestrial biochemistry (if at all there exists any).

• I agree with you. The NASA definition encompasses all life forms observed on our planet, but it will be a logical fallacy to generalize that such definition encompasses all forms of life in the universe.

• The definition of what we term life on planet earth is influenced by an ordered reaction of chemicals to form a working system. It will be incorrect to claim that extraterrestrial life forms with possibly different type of chemical make-up will have the same qualities used in defining life forms on earth. Since we do not solid knowledge on extraterrestrial biochemistry that shows the same characteristics as life on earth, the proposition of NASA’s definition of life to encompass all forms of life in the university is nothing but mere assumption.

• It is quite possible that a thing as complex as life has some qualities that could yet surprise us and redefine our understanding. What we try to consider is life similar to the one on Earth and even with the NASA’s definition there could be different types of systems and organisms, based on different chemistry, or adhering to separate set of rules. Viruses are an interesting example of microbes that are considered to be not-living, yet they are certainly not the same as non-living matter, such as rock. There could be perhaps organisms out there that breach those two worlds, or it is possible that our current understanding of what it means to be considered a ‘living’ system is either incorrect or not fully developed.

• The NASA definition is quite broad but I think it is possible to have life that isn’t capable of Darwinian evolution that is still life.

• ;/

• By adding another sentence like life can be a self sustainable chemical system which can experience exclusion in an inclusive space-time i think in which the darvin theory is a part of self sustaining system

• Life cannot be define in few world’s or in books of anything else, the more human learn about life the more deeper it gets.

• Personally, I believe that the current understanding of science is very limited. There are an unquantifiable amount of unknowns about the universe, that modern science has yet to uncover. So,I definitely believe it is possible for life to go beyond NASA’s definition and understanding. For what we know of right now, however, I think the definition is encompassing.

• Ok, just lost an hour of thesis due to a link box i clicked the x on, in this course.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

NASA is a crock.

As Space Force they are mighty, but Darwinianism allows Nazi philosophies to kill 19 million of my Polish countrymen in the last century.

Darwinian philosophies evicerate people.

No, I am a Lloyd Pye fan-

https://www.google.com/search?q=lloyd+pye+everything+you+know+is+wrong&oq=lloyd+pye+everything+you+know+is+wrong&aqs=chrome..69i57.20578j0j4&client=ms-android-rogers-ca-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

It is not good protocol to show URL work, but this is a device i use, not a good keyboard. I don`t want to risk losing work again by a wrong click.

Lloyd Pye is a scientific outcast, similar to Tesla blacklight and Teslas measurement of the speed of light being 3x the speed of Einsteins (when leaving the source).

Other forms of life exist in the extremophiles on our planet- ocean vent life, ice life, non- humanic places- so of course there will be dinosaurs out there for us to also find.

Without bombardment periods, dinosaurs survive.

Without x-ray doses from fermi bubbles, our goldilocks region midpoint at 25,000 ly from galactic center of the Milky Way is a strategic winner.

I apologize if this second time around report contains few course references. Any comments on my planned attatched Doctorate topic are welcome, and thank you.
      fwater@mail.com
      403 830 1866

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • I think NASA’s description of life as “self sustaining chemical systems with Darwinian evolution” is all encompassing and accurate, it’s hard to imagine life existing elswhere if any one of the three conditions outlined were not met.
      Therefore I think it’s safe to imagine that when we come in contact with life elsewhere, it almost certainly will be very different to life on earth, but it still will meet the three conditions for life as outlined by NASA.

• I agree with the notion that the principles, theories, and laws of science of Earth and our Solar System might greatly vary from that of the exosystems. It is to be comprehended how life on Earth is a fantastic chance and how such events might be happening elsewhere in the universe too!

• Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the creation of industrial farming about 150 years ago, the German fellow that introduced the focus of N-P-K supplementation spent another ten years attempting to rectify his narrowed introduction to the topic of supplementation of agriculture by industrial means.

For ten years after his initial authority he attempted to introduce the idea of 24 trace minerals in total as being important, not just the initial triad of N-P-K applications.

He was too late, his voice silenced by industry investments in his original ideas.

So even the creator of a system can be ignored while attempting to improve on his original research.

If we miss silica lifeforms, we may blame industrial N-P-K agriculture.

Crystalline entities based upon silica are often not important either to NorthAm medicines ignoring our bone density flexes for Calcium focuses of bone solidity.

My style of farming is Biodynamics, based upon folklore gathered by Rudolph Steiner in Germany.

We have a homeopathy approach to farming.

Silica is applied after treatment to allow the upper plant growth above the soil.

Calcium applies for roots.

If you get a chance, try a Biosil product line promoter by Hollywood actor and model Christy Brinkley. Your body feels as if it is sunshine.

This is a powerful thing. Silica based lifeforms may experience power in a different biology.

I have only bought the product once, thirty years ago. Silica overlooked by science is one of the biologies that will be overlooked by Astrobiology.

CLG 🙂🍵☕☕

• It is quite possible that a thing as complex as life has some qualities that could yet surprise us and redefine our understanding. What we try to consider is life similar to the one on Earth and even with the NASA’s definition there could be different types of systems and organisms, based on different chemistry, or adhering to separate set of rules. Viruses are an interesting example of microbes that are considered to be not-living, yet they are certainly not the same as non-living matter, such as rock

• This means that living systems are composed of complex molecules that are capable of self-reproduction and adapting to changing environments over time.

From a biophysical perspective, living beings are understood as thermodynamic systems that can self-organize and reproduce in a way that is responsive to changes in their surroundings. This means that living things are able to maintain a state of low entropy, or disorder, by constantly exchanging energy and matter with their environment.

Another important aspect of the chemical definition of life is the ability of living things to store and transmit genetic information. This information is generally stored in the form of DNA or RNA, which are complex organic molecules that contain the instructions for building and maintaining living systems. The ability of living systems to store and transmit genetic information is essential for reproduction and evolution.

• I agree that the cosmic systems may have quite different scientific laws, ideas, and principles from Earth and our solar system. It must be understood that life on Earth is a wonderful accident and that similar things might be occurring elsewhere in the universe as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend