World Science Scholars

1.7 Power Laws

discussion Discussion
Note

Discussions are a place where registered users can click on Reply to share their ideas and questions that follow from the material we’re covering. All users can view the conversation and indicate their like or dislike for a specific comment.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • What can you think of that wouldn’t scale as described by power laws?

• The processing power of a brain. (Pure guess)

• Scaling seems to be a very helpful tool, and combining that with the power laws makes every posibility certan, so without those two elments, we are left with uncertancy. but isn´t that the fun about science? studying the uncertan.

• Calorie consumption with size for different animal types

• Oh my, since I am still unfamiliar with the terms here, I find this to be a difficult question. Do we take into account quantum physics and particles, or, just what has been discussed herein so far? Would this apply to size of the universe, or perhaps the structure of a proton? I find myself unable to answer due to the emensity of the variables that could apply to it. I think my brain may be too smoothe and shiny to grasp the basic information I should be processing by this time. Can power laws be applied to everything, of course. Will they hold true to their function, I really cannot say… ????

• Would it not be the case that every scaling occurs according to SOME power law, even if it is a linear scaling? (X^1::Y^1)

• The hearth and all its functions

• This reminds me of the square cube law, which is an essentail element of the structure of life, similar to what has been described so far. Something that wouldn’t scale as described by power laws would be the size of a cell – the size of the cell itself would remain the same, a bigger animal simply having more cells instead of “bigger” cells.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Some things that wouldn`t change by scale under power laws are male and female antler sizes. Bucks are wide and stay wide.

Bigger animals have more cells instead of bigger cells.

Individuated cells at cellular level stay the same.

• Creo que existen varios fenómenos en la vida que no siguen el modelo de escalamiento de potencias. Yo diría por ejemplo las células de una bacteria.

• En mi opinión, no podría ser escalonado bajo las leyes de potencia el nivel de energía que un individuo emplea para generar un proceso de toma de decisiones. Por ejemplo, el desarrollo de la impronta geomagnética dependiendo de las condiciones ambientales.

• Rational thinking

• La conciencia moral

• quantità di peli

• In complex and nuanced aspects of life, like personal relationships, art, and well-being, individual experiences and impacts often deviate from the simplified patterns described by power laws.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend