World Science Scholars

2.4 Modified Newtonian Dynamics

discussion Discussion
Viewing 9 reply threads
    • As Professor Khoury says, MOND perfectly predicts the rotation curves of galaxies, even those observed after Milgrom created the theory. This does not mean that the fundamental laws of gravity as determined by Einstein needs to be altered–MOND instead alters Newtonian gravity to more accurately capture observed gravitational behavior at galactic scales. Do you feel it is a worthwhile pursuit to further refine Newtonian gravity instead of seeking a resolution to the problem of quantum gravity? Why?

• MOND is indeed worth while pursuing. For one, the presented evidence of galaxy rotation curves fit extremely well, even as prediction (!). Then, the Cornell archive contains lots of articles dealing with MOND and confirming the applicability for galaxy clusters as well (there are some fundamental misinterpretations around which obviously are maintained here). Moreover, and this is a hypothesis intensely discussed lately: the MOND-acceleration is pretty much in the same order of magnitude as the multiplication of H (the Hubble factor) and c (speed of light); an extremely fundamental relationship that should be examined further.

• It’s worth pursuing, although I don’t know what General Relativity says in this matter. Why not use GR instead of Newtonian gravity? It would be interesting if MOND could be modified further in order to account for clusters of galaxies and the cosmic web as well, besides galaxies themselves – what modifications would be needed to fit that data? If that’s possible, then based on that we could see how General Relativity would fit with that story, how would it need to be modified and either discover a different property of gravity (and get rid of dark matter) or infer additional information about dark matter.

• Yes, it is. Because in the small scales there are so many differences compared to big scales. İt is my recommendation that the scientists are supposed to include string theory to understand this mystery. Actually, it is easy to say, the important point is can we do it?

• Yes it is possible at the galaxy and galaxy cluster level which Newton didn’t know about, well his math wouldn’t work? And if dark matter is void of electromagnetics, quarks and gluons etc. then toss string theory in the garbage while you are at it just to explain there is an invisible mass halo around galaxies? maybe each galaxy has a Saint and we can measure his halo around that galaxy? lols… So of course I really don’t know and am also confused. I do not have an understanding of how(accurate) CMB is and was calculated, it seems impossible for it to be in every direction at the same moment in time history. And if inflation is happening why are Galaxies colliding? I dunno… Thanks again for the course.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

When we see a law altered, often it is a bridge to incomplete knowledge.

So, yes, we can modify Newtonian gravity because we know when the tech boost finally shows up, everything will be fully expldined.

This can requires patience – of a saint. How many of those are around? 😉

• Dark matter does not have the power over multiple galaxies, it is too weak.

Over individual galaxies, it has power.

What is it in individual galaxies that allow this?

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend