World Science Scholars

2.5 Sources of Gravitational Waves

discussion Discussion
Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational waves but believed they were too small to be detected. Scientists at LIGO have now officially detected them, proving Einstein wrong. As technology advances so will our ability to observe and understand the universe. Do you believe that continued progress in technology will allow any scientific question to be answered, given enough time? Or do you think that there are certain aspects of the physical world that will forever be out of reach? Explain your answers.

• Obtaining a deeper understanding of fundamental questions may depend on advances on various fronts. New theories and conceptual models, advancements in observation and experimentation technologies, along with interdisciplinary approaches, can play a crucial role. Furthermore, openness to global collaboration and diversity of perspectives can enrich our efforts to unravel the deepest mysteries of the universe. However, some questions may remain intractable due to fundamental limitations of human understanding or even the intrinsic nature of these enigmas. The pursuit of knowledge is a constant journey, and it’s exciting to think about the possibilities the future may bring.

• Since we depend on signals to evaluate any theory there are limits to this which we will not overcome. Entanglement is one example where we are able to write down corresponding equations which work every time, but understanding what’s going on is a different story. Another topic would be ideas about a multiverse. Most cosmologists are pretty sure that there must be other universes “out there” (some even say parallel to our’s), but I’m sure we will never actually “see” them, i.e. get any signal from them. Last, but not least: Will string theory ever turn out to be string physics, given the scales involved? Fortunately, there is a strong hint at a cosmological string which has been revealed by the HST, based on an extremely clever idea.

• We create equations and mathematical methods. Some times we discover aspects of reality that we can shoe horn into those equations, sometime it happens the other way around. As we go deeper down the rabbit hole, I see no reason to believe reality is such it can be fully described by any language including math.
      Of course we will have more math and language as we try to spiral into deeper aspects of reality.
      I see no end in sight.

The best theory can be is consistent, This is necessary but not sufficient. However valid experimental results gives us reality.
      Although I do find theory fun.

Furthermore, From Kurt Gödel’s incompleteness theorem. In a non trivial system of mathematics there are trues we know that cannot be proved.
      We can never have a complete theory. If we get a theory of everything, that’s complete, science will get a bit boring. I don’t like boring, maybe this is why I think this way.

• I believe that technological advancements will contribute to the understanding our universe, like sending space exploration missions like voyager etc. However, we are 3 dimensional beings and have limited knowledge of the other dimensions are lesser knowledge of many things like why entropy exists etc. this will restrict our understanding of the data that we have. So, more than technology, i feel our brains should evolve to understand more about the universe.

• if gravity is universal and designed so is the universe it it untangled and under influence of a perfect force

• hopefully scientists will look inside there heads and add to the data. It is amazing what I see. and soon hard to describe. Hopefully they will see the coordinate system in place. Its all a big puzzle and new ideas is what cracks the code.

• I would say that the things that will be forever out of reach are the ontological questions – what is energy, mass, consciousness, qualia etc. These questions cannot be answered by science even in principle.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Some science has recognized research can reach a limit on the earth.

But if we bring the large L5 object to earth orbit and use it as a km long space platform, results may be better than Earth limits.

This is assuming funding will exist.

• well eventuality is a possible infinity, so let’s hope it’s a finite infinite. That being said my hope is that all knowledge will some day be in our grasp.

• The strongest gravitational waves are produced by cataclysmic events such as colliding black holes, supernovae (massive stars exploding at the end of their lifetimes), and colliding neutron stars.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend