World Science Scholars

2.4 Dark Matter Concentration

discussion Discussion
Note

Discussions are a place where registered users can click on Reply to share their ideas and questions that follow from the material we’re covering. All users can view the conversation and indicate their like or dislike for a specific comment.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • A paper co-authored by Professor Natarajan and published in Science on September 11, 2020, combined observations of galaxy clusters from the Hubble Space Telescope with the European Space Agency’s Very Large Telescope in Chile to measure the amount of gravitational lensing produced by dark matter. They found that dark matter concentrations were up to ten times higher than those predicted by mathematical models. What sorts of implications do you think this has for our understanding of the universe?

• It has also been observed (HST) that there are about ten times as many galaxies in our universe than estimated earlier. Unfortunately, there has (to my current knowledge) not been any follow-up analysis as to whether this discovery could “balance” the suggested amount of dark matter”. But given the failure of any evidence of a dark matter particle despite enormous efforts over a large timeframe, given this discovery of much more matter in our universe than estimated, my conclusion would be to dismiss dark matter and turn to the real matter that had not been seen earlier.

• I completely agree with Klaus Cormann’s ascersions, let find all the barrionic matter first.

• Nothing to add

• Nothing to add, very good.

• Very good nothing to add, except I have no idea why I can not move on t9 the next step. Poor course design? No feedback?

• “Dark matter” seems to be the “dark energy” ‘s part that has visual implications to the galaxies’ movement. “Dark” refers to the empty-space’s mass/energy; in other words the mass/energy that the spacetime manifold possesses.

• So blow away by the discovery.

• hat sorts of implications do you think this has for our understanding of the universe?
      the implication that can be taken up by this is that maybe as they grow they and new black holes emerge the new ones might not be in a fasting mode and instead they could be much larger than they appear to be. To understand the whole property and variety of black holes we need to study every move of every particles that enters and leave and study about them with extensive care

• I wonder if dark matter could be some black hole remnants, they rarely get mentioned.

• I don’t think that dark metter are black hole ramnants. They are another thing, because it can scape from the black hole!

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Clusters of galaxies have no dark matter. Dark matter exists in sole galaxies as an influence (MORE).

Astronomy is work in progress. Implications of the Dark Matter as it is understood reveal cluster occupation of Dark Matter, previously thought to have no power in clusters.

Logic says the greater volume of Dark Matter equals less influence, a declining power with greater presence.

It is a logic paradox.

• hmm, more dark matter/energy, larger galaxies farther back in time, fate of the universe, we got some learning to do.

• It implies that dark matter makes up more of our universe than we initially thought.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend