World Science Scholars

2.4 Particle Physics and Dark Matter

discussion Discussion
Viewing 17 reply threads
    • How do you think particle physics might eventually impact our understanding of dark matter?

• Whether with the discovery of supersymmetric particles or not, I think the discoveries in particle physics will be of the utmost importance. Perhaps new data will appear that will redirect the course of research on cosmology and other fields of physics.

• yes

• I think in order to fully detect and understand dark matter that major advances have to be done and we may even have to achieve faster than light technology beforehand. I think one possible (but probably unlikely) reason that dark matter does not reflect light and largely escapes detection is because it travels faster then the speed of light, hence needing FTL technology first, the keys to which lay most likely within the particle and quantum physics.

Regardless of the above statement, I believe that we will be able to better detect the visible effects that dark matter has on particles as our collider detection techniques and high-energy experimentation capabilities increase.

• If new particles are discovered, that could explain the missing mass (I think).

• It could eg. explain missing mass in our Universe

• We could discover supersymmetric particles and use the theory together with the experimental results and astronomical observations and check if the dark matter could actually be in the form of an LSP = Lightest Supersymmetric Particles. Personally, I take this strongly under consideration as a potential candidate for dark matter.

• I think if we understand more about particle physic, it might eventually let to discoveries of new things that might be related to dark matter.

• I think super symmetry is the best candidate for dark matter

• Actually super symmetry is failing as a theory.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

The convergence of forces at about ten to the fifteen seems to be what dark energy is.

Particle physics allows for this as a possible explaination for dark matter.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I found a great pic of unification energies Prof. Barry talks about.

See it here on my really astronomical Pinterest board! ๐Ÿ™‚

https://pin.it/5j3Dwb6

Thanks to Prof. Greene for allowing us to be taught by such world greats!

It is great to be inspired amoungst decorated Scientists.

• If it’s a particle than you have a good chance, if it’s some other feature of a force that’s not understood yet your tests won’t show it, hence the name dark.

• Itโ€™ll probably further help our understanding of where it may or may not generate from or come from, probably at the start of the collision itโ€™s self idk, Iโ€™m dumb

• Ladies & Gentlemen,

The buzzword tag for this post is convergence- in topic tags window area. I have converged here to vote everybody up, thumbs-up. Sometimes my voting up did not seem to work. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿค™๐Ÿ‘Thumbs-up!

We go beyond our LHC when we apply Prof. Ghaz’s 90 km sodium layer to the new, larger collider task.

There is a surface there, at 90 km above our heads, Prof. Ghaz tells us this. Particle science found in accelerators find new laser-type accelerators.

LEO, MEO, & GEO (as HEO), we have sputniks in orbits, low, middle & high- geosynchronous even.

We apply technology to turn the inner surface of the sodium layer, the Celestial Sphere, into a new Larger Collider Above Our Heads.

NLCAOH. Any good as an acronym? ๐Ÿ™‚

NAOH works in Christian regions, almost as if Biblical. ๐Ÿ“–

CLG
      ๐Ÿ™‚
      ๐Ÿตโ˜•๐Ÿต๐Ÿต

• Dark matter is a highly mysterious thing, and has been ever since its original discovery. Similar to how Einstein’s famous theory of general relativity explained the strange gravitational “fluctuations” around Mercury originally though to be caused by a new planet, named Vulcan, dark matter showed that there was a new and different matter creating a halo around black holes and galaxies and acting gravitationally on these galactic objects. However, dark matter is elusive, originally we believed it may be carried by particles of the standard model, but only neutrinos would be a possibility as they hardly interact with light, however, they do have nuclear interactions and do have energetic reactions in their production. Hence, dark matter must be carried by some new and elusive particle outside of our known standard model of physics and particle physics will certainly play a role in our scientific advancement of knowledge on dark matter. Interestingly, experiments are already being conducted to find both the proposed dark matter particles that can interact with the electromagnetic spectrum, called “Axions” as well as their wave counterparts.

• Particle physics plays a crucial role in our quest to understand dark matter. Dark matter is an invisible form of matter that does not emit, absorb, or reflect light, making it difficult to detect directly. Although its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter, its nature remains one of the biggest mysteries in astrophysics and cosmology.
      Here are some ways particle physics might impact our understanding of dark matter:
      Collider Experiments: Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, are powerful tools for exploring the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. While the LHC has not directly detected dark matter particles so far, it has placed constraints on the possible properties of dark matter candidates. Future collider experiments may provide additional insights or even discover new particles that could be associated with dark matter.
      Direct Detection Experiments: Various experiments are designed to directly detect dark matter particles interacting with ordinary matter. These experiments typically involve highly sensitive detectors placed deep underground to shield them from other cosmic rays. Advances in detector technology and data analysis techniques may lead to the direct detection of dark matter particles, providing important clues about their properties.
      Indirect Detection Experiments: Some experiments focus on detecting the indirect signals of dark matter annihilation or decay. For example, telescopes observing gamma-ray emissions from certain regions of the universe could provide evidence of dark matter interactions. Improvements in observational techniques and the development of more sensitive instruments may reveal new insights.
      Theory and Model Building: Theoretical advances in particle physics contribute significantly to our understanding of dark matter. The development of new theoretical models, as well as modifications to existing ones, can guide experimental searches. New theoretical frameworks may emerge, leading to novel predictions that can be tested through experiments.
      Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) Studies: The study of the CMB, the residual radiation from the Big Bang, provides valuable information about the early universe. The behavior of dark matter in the early universe may leave imprints on the CMB, and precise measurements of the CMB could help constrain the properties of dark matter.
      In summary, the intersection of particle physics and our understanding of dark matter is a dynamic and evolving field. Advances in experimental techniques, technological innovations, and theoretical developments are essential for unraveling the mysteries of dark matter and expanding our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.

• I think particle physics will eventually be able to explain dark matter and then we will understand itโ€™s purpose in the standard model and how it interacts in galaxies.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend