World Science Scholars

3.6 Neuropsychological Experiments

discussion Discussion
Viewing 22 reply threads
    • Should neuroscientists move toward more complex, realistic stimuli for neuropsychological experiments? How would you design a realistic experiment to examine free will?

• Yes, more complex and realistic sets of stimuli, in more realistic situations, should be encouraged.

I image a group of subjects who have a situation proposed to them, with a number of possible choices to make. After making their choice, they could be offered more information. After receiving the new information, they could choose again from the original options. Any who changed their choice based on the new information would be exhibiting some degree of free choice

• Hi John, I don´t think that this kind of experiment will really prove that there is such a thing as free will. It´s just making choices, but who says that I will follow up on my choice? (I am convinced that there is free will, but I don´t really see how to test this in the lab.)
        I like the design of your experiment, but it sounds more like you were testing people´s ethical standards.

• Fit subjects with long term EEG-type caps + GoPros, then monitor their normal behaviour over test working days and identify and examine ex post potential free will decisions over these test days.

• The best way to find whether we humans do have free will or not is by understanding more about how actually our brain functions. Is there any particular way that if electrical signals can make someone take decisions in a particular way.

• For now, I agree with Ayan Paul.

• Considering that we must gather data regarding decisions involving a moment of free will, we must first have advances within our nano technology sector to create some form of fmri device that can be on a subjects scalp 24 hours a day. That way we record what activity happened during the moment the subject has to decide. They would have to write down on a notepad every moment they considered they took a decision and that way we can also see when they didnt write something down yet had activity in the brain still.

• I think that this should be studied alot deeper. I would suggest it would be interesting to compare response times between adults and children, between a common adult and a Buddhist (example) adult. What if one lives a life trained to be responsive instead of reactionary? How does this effect the neuron responses to physical actions? As we grow our energy bodies learn physical reactions to frequencies we encounter. Some good some bad, once we are adults we have trained our energy bodies to auto respond when encountering said frequencies. Sarcasm frequency = response laughter / challenge frequency = response fear etc. How we handle the 1st encounters with these frequencies will be the programing for our energy body. So children are not fully programed and may show different areas of response in the brain and different response times. Spiritual people are trying to attain a point of not reacting to things but more so responding with thought and sort of disconnected from the outcome of the stimuli and therefore may also show different than an average study subject. Free will may be greatly impacted by the study subjects understanding of what that means. Some people are followers and some people are leaders. Some people react to life, some people respond. I think diving into the later would take this science to a new perspective of how our concious and subconscious coexist.

• Should neuroscientists move toward more complex, realistic stimuli for neuropsychological experiments?
      In the long-run view of understanding free will, I would say yes but we are not there yet. The basic principles around the subject are still somewhat open for refinement. In the office hours, he covers this as something that will come from theorists or philosophers in the future as they refine the definition of free will and when and how it behaves in the human being.
      How would you design a realistic experiment to examine free will?
      For now, it would have to involve a deeper level of mapping of the brain as it works through these processes. There is something yet unknown about the processes at play and how the processes are run in the mind. The realistic experiment might involve something that is monitoring deep signals in the brain in real-time with full data collection. We would also need to be able to replay several scenarios with the same conditional setup which by definition we cannot do because of the separation of mechanical machines not truly mimicking physicological brain activity.

• Should neuroscientists move toward more complex, realistic stimuli for neuropsychological experiments? How would you design a realistic experiment to examine free will?

Yes they should, but the problem is even now we don’t really understand how our brains work yet. I think the first step that they need to focus on now is achieving a higher degree of understanding about the workings of our brain, after that, we can then start focus on creating a better experiment to examine free will.

• Scientists will always be scientists … We need urgent answers to the big questions we need to see answered hundreds of years ago …I am a person of the science of practical investigation but I love themes related to Philosophy..thinking about something makes me grow and evolve … In relation to this particular issue of Free Will I would prefer to stay in the Philosophy branch.

• I am not sure the question makes sense… how exactly are we defining “free will”? It’s just our neural network, with its biases, neural weights, synapses, inhibitory and excitatory neurotransmitters etc – all these things work up to give our behavior. And all these things are physical things, obeying the laws of physics. So I think the onus is on the people that say we have the “libertarian” kind of free will to show what the mechanism through which that could arise is, not the other way around. And I’m not sure how you’d devise an experiment for that – it happens in consciousness, in a subjective world, in an abstract realm – you have to show that that abstract realm has causal power on the physical world without an underlying physical, neural correlate. Pretty hard to do, if not impossible.

• I think scientist should move forward with more realistic neuropsychology experiments on free will.

• I like the idea of comparing decision-making among different age groups.

• I think that neuroscientists should move toward more complex, realistic stimuli for neuropsychological experiments.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Neuroscientists will experiment until there is no more cruelty. Entertainment suffering has the application of scapegoating without any moral responsibility.

Because the lack of free-will in Vatican slavery ethics revealled by electronic world stalking, their Nazi cruelty of a 1930-1958 holocaust of Jewish people goes unrecorded.

When our information is untrue due to private hiding of slavery ethics, we see the computer/mind interfaces will develop to allow better Vatican controls and slavery.

It is important to end the godhoax and silence on aliens genociding humanity.

Neuroscience can stop.

But the rewards have to end.

How would i design a neuroscience experiment?

They study involuntaries to claim them, so i would use breathe studies they will claim is theirs to enslave and own.

The breathe doesn`t occur until an electrical impulse allows a muscle contraction, feeding the fuels of mind appetite. Air supply to brain regions thus will be claimed to be the mind in the beginning, logic being blind and the lung minds being the true origin of thought.

• is the scientific study of the nervous system and its functions. It is a multidisciplinary science that combines physiology, anatomy, molecular biology, developmental biology, cytology,

• Before we can understand free will we must understand conciseness. And if we find out everything is determined can we really find out anything?

• nope

• Although the study of mind seems to be an abstract idea, it can actually affect decision-making among different groups.

• I think there should be more experimentation to find out about free will. As of this time AI is gotten much bigger and seems to be popular. The easy out I’m thinking is to ask AI what it would do about studying free will since it gathers all the information of today to come up with an answer. But that’s just an easy way out so to be honest I am not sure how to further experiment and study free will. I think this mainly because of so many different factors in our lives such as our upbringing, religious teachings (if we’re taught that), our education, Etc. I think that we do have free will and it could be like the analogy of the ass experiment where we’ll make a decision even if it’s not the most important decision to make. But we’ll also make a decision if we have to put a lot of thought into it. But in terms of how to come up with a more rigorous way of studying Free Will honestly I’m not sure.

• Eu imagino que eletrodos podem ser colocados em pessoas em algum tipo de touca ou chapéu para verificar suas ondas cerebrais no dia a dia. Ainda assim acho que há limitações sobre as conclusões possíveis a partir desses dados para o tópico em questão.

• The best way to find whether we humans do have free will or not is by understanding more about how actually our brain functions. Is there any particular way that if electrical signals can make someone take decisions in a particular way.

• yeyeye

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend