World Science Scholars

3.8 Implications for Humans and Future Research

discussion Discussion
Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Did Professor Herculano-Houzel’s findings change or reinforce your perception of human exceptionalism? What other recent neuroscience research has helped us understand our place in the world among different species?

• This course opened many aspects of brains. I learned new about bird brains and to what extent human brains are exceptional. This course also taught me about the relations of different species. Good course!

• Each human is exceptional in having a unique brain that could be hugely different from its peers. Fantastic course- with thanks!

• Actually, no. I am finding it hard to follow some of her findings and conclusions. The main thing that stymies me is that she says, in the last three videos, something that doesn’t quite settle her argument. Mainly that the number of neurons in the cortex is somehow related to “intelligence”. Using that premise, would that not make birds the top winner? Can some one please elaborate for me why this is or is not true? Do birds require more neurons to assist in navigation through the air, or remember where and when to migrate. Something is a bit off here in my opinion. Thanks for the course, as it is always interesting to hear the opinions of others on subjects that keep me curiously interested. Cheers!

• I think it was an interesting course, it was fun to learn about the power rules of scaling and about the energy limitations in folding the brain. I am still interested in understanding conciousness and what’s so special about the cortical neurons that isn’t special about the other neurons in giving rise to consciousness and the hard problem of consciousness, namely how come some material like brain tissue gives rise to a subjective internal world or qualia? That’s really the big mystery that I’m interested in.

• Thank you for revealing such valuable information. It certain adjusted the way I see things. It offered more direction because reconfirmed what I already assumed on regard of human exceptionalism.

• thank you for this course

• Thank you

• It is always worth trying to attend this courses 👍

• Prof. Suzana’s findings didn’t alter a concept of exceptionality for people, but certainly does for birds.

Are more neurons also smarter? Neurons may indicate speed and reaction time. Power rules of scaling in science can then go inverse if smaller is better…and…☔

Women are on occassion smaller than men and so are also more brilliant then men. This is logic.

🙂

• Thanks to Prof. Suzana for the course.

If folding indicates more energy conservation, larger animals have more folding, as they conserve energy better.

Gauging where human bodies exist on that efficiency level, we are one of the larger creatures as our brains are very folded.

If more neurons indicate activity level, people can be as smart as active birds if we stay active. Birds don’t have a choice, their terrain is avian.

Neither birds nor humans are exceptional- nobody is- but the highly active ones actually are due to high neuron level activity!

Oh you are so bright!.. is because we are so very active- neutrally active.

• Thanks to Prof. Suzana for the course.

• Thank you Prof.Suzana for the course.

• Gracias a la Prof. Susana por las aportaciones brindadas en este curso.

• Ladies and Gentlemen,

What other recent neuroscience research has helped us understand our place in the world among different species?

Recently after viewing a TED talks about Prof. Sara Walker of ASU, the very next TED talks was about a few evolutions due to extinction of dinosaurs and arid conditions then altering that vacancy.

The first allowed creatures to reclaim canopy terrains and develop huge brains to swing in trees.

The second forced those big brains to drop to the ground due to arid conditions ending rainforests. This caused upright walking.

The next after Prof. Walker`s talk may not be neuroscience, but it is historical background on current conditions.

CLG

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • Yes, I think the professor findings helped. As initially we think that the Human brain is the most special brain but the reality is not the same. Our perception towards human brain has changed as it says, Human Brain are no special its just more number of neurons in the cortex.

• Hay otras investigaciones recientes en neurociencia que también han contribuido a comprender nuestro lugar en el mundo entre diferentes especies. Como por ejemplo: – Estudios sobre plasticidad cerebral.
      – Estudios sobre cognición animal.
      – Estudios sobre comunicación animal.
      – Investigaciones sobre emociones en animales.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend