World Science Scholars

4.1 Units

discussion Discussion
Viewing 8 reply threads
    • I am finding the math challenging and I am repeating this Module. I love c=foot/nanosecond. I find that exciting. Yet, I haven’t done any geometry in over 40 years. I am refreshing myself with you tube geometry.

I also want to thank you for providing these classes to the public, for free no less! I have enjoyed three courses already and I have learned so much. They have really stretched my mind, so to speak.

I am determined to make it through Special Relativity Math Course if it takes me the next next year to do so.

• I haven’t done any formal maths in 10 years but I stumbled across this youtube channel which describes the geometry of Special Relativity brilliantly; https://youtu.be/1rLWVZVWfdY.

I would encourage everyone to view this playlist as it gives a visual understanding of the mathematics.

• Thank you, Jack. I am on Ch 4 – Lorentz contraction. The instructor is smooth and I can follow him.

• Thank you Jack. That’s a huge help.

• Do we then have to change the units of the other variables, like v and t, to match, when using a particular equation?

• Do we then have to change the units of the other variables, like v and t, to match, when using a particular equation?

• Obviously different units (or to be perhaps more pedantic different metrics) will give different numerical values for light’s speed. However, I believe the relevant question is: Why isn’t the speed of light (as observed by an observer) in space twice (or 10 times) faster – or slower – than the value currently measured (using any metric you care to specify)? Any answer is independent of the units discussion.

• That is because it is really the speed of causation that we are talking about.

• Obviously different units (or to be perhaps more pedantic different metrics) will give different numerical values for light’s speed. However, I believe the relevant question is: Why isn’t the speed of light (as observed by an observer) in space twice (or 10 times) faster – or slower – than the value currently measured (using any metric you care to specify)? Any answer is independent of the units discussion.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend