World Science Scholars

5.3 Time in Motion Discussion

discussion Discussion
Viewing 51 reply threads
    • Professor Brian Greene writes, “Our analysis has revealed the amazing fact that time does not elapse at the same rate for you as it does for me if we are moving relative to each other. This has profound implications, but can also easily be misunderstood. For example, what do you think: Does time dilation provide a way to live longer? Explain your answer.”

• No, it doesn’t, since my internal, biological clock will be ticking at the same rate whatever I do. So I won’t live longer. What I could do is travel to the future, in the sense that if I made a journey at a very high speed and came back to the origin I would find a world where people who were my age would now be older than me, but my own life will last the same amount of time if I move than if I don’t.

• June 3, 2020 at 10:36 am
      No, it doesn’t, since my internal, biological clock will be ticking at the same rate whatever I do. So I won’t live longer. What I could do is travel to the future, in the sense that if I made a journey at a very high speed and came back to the origin I would find a world where people who were my age would now be older than me, but my own life will last the same amount of time if I move than if I don’t.

• no

• No. My internal clock will always tick at a “normal” rate due to me always being stationary in relation to it.

• No we can’t live longer because of time dilation because my internal clock is stationary with respect to me

• if i move with a constant velocity with a clock (my clock runs slowly by a stationery person ) what about me thinking stationery person’s clock runs slowly which is correct one.

• Not from our own perspective

• It was an amazing concept to learn, but for me we can’t live longer because the difference in the time on both clocks is just our perspective ,for someone his /her clock must be ticking time in a perfect manner but the same clock for someone else must be slow. The rate of passage of time on different clocks is different according to the perspective of observers

• It’s an amazing experience learning with you sir . We can’t live longer because the rate of passage of time on different clocks is just the perspective of different observers in which they observe the clocks

• No! it is also a relative fact with which we are comparing our motion.

• You explain all these concepts with a simple understandable way. This is art and skill, well done. It also requires humility because when we ask various things that from your perspective might be silly, you have patience.

• since the universe is expanding(distance = d ) and the speed of light is constant(c)
      time = increasing distance between planets/c , does this implies that time is expanding i.e rate of change is getting faster

• If you are moving with constant velocity/speed relative to a ‘stationary’ observer, the observer will see you live longer as your biological clock will tick slower than the biological clock of the ‘stationary’ observer. From your perspective you are moving with constant speed so you could claim that you are stationary and that the ‘stationary’ observer is moving with constant speed/velocity relative to you, so your personal biological clock will not tick slower and you will not live longer.

• The photon of light leaving the bottom of the clock should continue in its straight path in the direction it started. Why does it travel to the right along with the moving clock? The light photon motion is dictated by its initial velocity direction. Why does the velocity of the clock base movement get added vecorially to the light photon?

• What is a biological clock? Are there little light photon clocks bouncing between two mirrors inside your body that are vectorially speeded up or slowed down because you move?

• Not exactly, but there are physiological phenomena that have relatively fixed rates they occur at that may also have to travel the hypotenuse.

• Everything in my frame of reference will progress at the same rate just as everyone in my initial frame of reference will continue to move through time at their rate. These two rates, while they won’t coincide, will not change the way they see things around them, although separately. Odd to think of time not being absolute, but it is, if you think about it, within each point of reference at the same rest velocity.

• Agreed with previous responses saying no, and to add something else or different…
      From your own perspective your clock ticks normally so you don’t. From others perspective if they claim you are in motion then they will see your clock ticking slowly and as the elapsed time will be less then ,if this is the case, you are not living longer, instead you are living at a slower time rate (they will see your life in slow motion).

• From my perspective iam moving so w.r.t me my life will not be longer .
      But someone who is stationary tells that your life time is increased .
      Is it correct Dr Brain Greene.

• Time dilation does not provides longer life time.It provides life time at slower rate, which would be completely normal to one,when He/She undergoes the speed that can cause a time dilation at sufficient amount so that, it is quite measurable. Even though, all of our biological clocks ticks almost at the same rate. So, on conclusion,when we experience time dilation due to our motion, we won’t live longer ,but we were seems to be live longer in the perspective of stationary one. After all, we Humans, can’t reach the speed, so that we experience time dilation.

• If we think these two light clock as two different system in which one second is depend on a constant distance travelled by photon or light ball. Therefore I think 1sec in one clock is different from another.

• What happens if light clock is moving in the direction of velocity of light ball

• no

• No, it doesn’t, since my internal, biological clock will be ticking at the same rate whatever I do. but we seems to be live longer in the perspective of stationary one. we both experience time differently

• Does time dilation provide a way to live longer? Not practically or from one’s own subjective perspective unfortunately.

• There is an invariant of SR, called the “proper time, tau.” In your co-moving inertial frame, this is the same as your local (biological) time. As an invariant EVERY observer can compute it in their frame relative to yours. For a different inertial observer, they compute this by taking two locations including time, i.e. (t2,x2,y2,z2) and (t1,x1,y1,z1). Then c^2 tau^2=c^2(t2-t1)^2-((x2-x1)^2+(z2-z1)^2+(z2-z1)^2). This quantity is the same for all observer, regardless of their relative inertial motion. In this sense THERE is a measurement that everyone agrees on, just not x,y,z,t that Newton assumed. In x,y,z,t measurements, all the SR effects show up. I don’t think I would call it simultaneous but invariant.

• People moving relative to a ‘stationary’ observer should age less. We can use Professor Greene’s analogy here. Instead of a rolex tightly bolted to the top of the clock, its the person that is bound to the light clock. If the light clock is now synchronized to the person’s heart beat (assuming the heart beat is constant and we are measuring the time in terms of heart beats), then as seen from the stationary reference frame, we should see the moving person’s heart beat slow down. This idea can then be extended to all of the biologocal processes and hence to the aging process itself!

• Time dilation will allow us to live further into the future than our twin brother. But we will experience the same length of lifetime.

• Not from my perspective. Now, from someone passing by or someone not equidistant, it will appear different. But, relative to me time is passing the same. In reality, every measurement we ever make will be relative to ourselves, every time.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • Please, can anyone help me?

Fine, at my point of view, the moving person’s clock will tic tac slowly, so if we sync our clocks and the person starts moving, at my point of view his/her clock will “delay” in comparison to my clock, right?

Now the question: at his/her point of view, he/she will be stationary, and it is me who is moving, right?

In this case, won’t be the same to him/her? at his/her point of view, my clock will tic tac slowly if compared to his/her clock?

So confused, sorry!

• Yes, what you said is correct. Each person will observe the other person’s clock slow down, when undergoing relative motion.

• Yeah it will people will have much longer lifetime if we are travel faster, i have a question if i am saying that he is moving and he says that i am moving, who time will elapse

• Sorry, you don’t get it. Each person in relative motion is in their co-moving reference frame. This has only a time component, no spacial movement. Their internal time goes at their usual time ticks, regarless of their relative motion. So, their lives are of usual length. If either of us, measure in our clocks, the other person’s clocks, they each will measure the other at slower tic tocs. Their internal clock rate can be measured via the “proper time” c^2 tau^2=(c Delta t)^2-(Delta x)-(Delta y)^2-(Delta y)^2-(Delta z)^2. Measured in proper time, the elapsed time in either clock is the same as both of our internal clocks. This is Minkowskis measure of 4-dim space-time that is the same for every and all observers.

• Just an added comment: clocks measure time relative to a coordinate system. “Proper time” is the measurement of space-time which can be computed from clock and length measurement and putting them together as in the previous comment. “proper time” is an invariant, i.e. identically measured in ALL coordinate systems.

• The twin paradox is about breaking the symmetry. If a third observer moves at the same speed, but the opposite velocity, the third observer adds a third coordinate system and the symmetry is broken. Thus when the third observer comes back and meets the original twin, the sum of the twin out until the meeting of the third observer+the time back from the third observer, the sum of the time lengths will be shorter. If and only if, there is a break of the symmetry, does the time distance become measurable in “proper time.”

• Time dilation provides the extension of life certainly, but ONLY if viewed from the frame of the “other guy”. When you and the other guy synchronize your watches in the same frame of reference, your biological clocks will be ticking at the same speed. In order to observe the time dilation effect, one of the participants must accelerate to provide a relative speed (or equivalently the two participants must experience different accelerations). Those accelerations are measurable within the frame of the person that is undergoing the acceleration, and that is the key to understanding the situation. In any case, from any perspective totally within a given reference frame, time will tick off at a “normal” rate. There is no extension of life as observed within a given reference frame.

• as you said in your daily equation live Q and A biological processes do slow down, I think same cause from our perspective if another person is in motion actually his clock only wont tick slower but for him TIME itself will be slow down so his biological processes mitosis digestion circulation his age everything will be slow down. Clock is just an instrument which show how much time elapsed actually its elapse of time or as sir Brian Greene says its the notion of time which slows down. I think Brian Green’s book Untill The End Of Time gives lot of clearity that does it really matter that we age slow or fast or being eternal it doesn’t matter at all cause even if that happens we will have end to it. End is the destination of loop of journey of time which may be beginning of new journey.

• If i understand it right, we would live longer to the eyes of those who are stationary to us, since time would slow down, provided we are moving at speeds high enough to be close to light. But we( who are moving )would experience time the same way and hence won’t experience it as ‘living longer’. Isn’t it?

• You can not it wouldn’t extend your life as in the years you count till your death implying you still count years in the same way we do now while on your near light speed journey. However you could traverse a larger portion of space then you would have travelled only experience the normal speeds on Earth so you could say you existed further along In time but that does not extend the amount of time you have actually lived for.

• It is implied, that the light, in a light clock, in uniform motion, (Say at velocity ‘Vt’, the velocity of the ‘train’, does not gain the velocity component Vt, of its source. in the direction of motion of the train,. It is assumed, that the light travels with its entire velocity of c, angled slightly towards the direction of the train’s motion. So that it meets the mirror, that it is to bounce off of, in its completion of a light clock, ‘tick’. If the beam is directed perpendicular to the direction of the ‘train’s motion. Then I guess the beam must be ‘curved’ by that motion.
      And I suppose, that is the meaning of the g dx/dx term in the metric tensor for the general theory of relativity?

• No. If i travel at a close speed of light other will observe that i am living more. But, as i am stationery at my perspective, i will live like actual man

• This also depends on the perspective. For me time is moving at the same rate i.e i wont be able to feel the rate of time slowing down, but for others i will be able olive longer.

• You can not it wouldn’t extend your life as in the years you count till your death implying you still count years in the same way we do now while on your near light speed journey. However you could traverse a larger portion of space then you would have travelled only experience the normal speeds on Earth so you could say you existed further along In time but that does not extend the amount of time you have actually lived for.

• If you are the one who “observe” your lifetime your clock is stationary and it’s no way to extend it. But you can extend interval of living in one universe for others (for your kids ) sending them somewhere as we know from science fuction. Though the price fr that would be a separation and the Īving in one universe” may be considered as quite an illusion.

• No. Life expectancy itself will not change within one system. Only life expectancy will change from the perspective of other frames of reference.

• Yeah, like where the hell did the body go? The hypotenuse in a gravitational shift for a more qualified hospital, just hoping the rest of the family goes the same way.

• Time dilation shows a difference of time. Time does not elapse at the same rate when people move relative to each other.

As a way to fathom science beyond the earth, implications of motion altering time shows a universe that has time controls.

Clocks are a recent inbention, usually associated with naval history and awards for navigation using time.

Hourglasses, sundials, the time seems important when navigation is.

And so time in physics as determined by time dilation also becomes a factor on large scales.

This is why we cannot often understand Einstein- he works on a planetary and stellar time unit.

Can we live longer with time dilation? The tech level involved to be at near light speed for this effect puts this luxury out of the hands and choices of many. But as an ethic to promote longevity/fitness… People in motion tend to stay in motion.

Attachments:
    • This is a big light clock! And it synchronizes huge things.

Attachments:
    • Well if we could travel at relativistic velocities we could take a trip and return in the future of our relative time on earth. but you would still age. if you think about it we’re already traveling through time together.

• Time dilation, as described by Professor Brian Greene, is a consequence of the theory of relativity and refers to the phenomenon where time elapses differently for objects or observers in relative motion. This effect has been experimentally verified and is an essential component of our understanding of the nature of space and time.
      However, it is important to clarify that time dilation, in and of itself, does not provide a direct way to live longer. While it is true that time dilation can affect the measured passage of time for different observers, it does not alter the fundamental process of aging or extend one’s lifespan in a practical sense.
      Time dilation arises due to the relative motion between observers or objects and is typically observed at speeds close to the speed of light or in strong gravitational fields. In these scenarios, time can appear to slow down or speed up for different observers, depending on their relative motion or proximity to massive objects.
      For instance, in the famous “twin paradox” scenario, where one twin stays on Earth while the other travels at high speeds in a spacecraft and then returns, the traveling twin would experience less elapsed time compared to the twin who remained on Earth. However, it is crucial to note that this does not mean the traveling twin would live longer in terms of biological aging. The discrepancy in elapsed time is only apparent when comparing the two observers’ clocks, not their actual subjective experiences or lifespans.
      In practical terms, the effects of time dilation are negligible for everyday human experiences and speeds. The differences in elapsed time due to relative motion would only become noticeable when dealing with extremely high velocities or in extreme gravitational fields, such as near black holes.
      So, while time dilation is a fascinating and scientifically confirmed phenomenon, it does not provide a direct means for individuals to extend their lifespans or live longer.

• No, I think that it does not help you live longer the human body isn’t meant to stay stationary we need exercise and internal organ movements to move nutrients and wastes out and into our body.Perhaps if there was a possibility it was correct then they would be other things to consider as the diet and lifestyle conditions of a individual.I keep myself skeptic if time dilation helps you live longer or increase your lifespan.

• No it can’t. Because from my perspective the clock and my biological clock ticks just as normal. I can’t tell if I’m aging slowly or not.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend