World Science Scholars

2.4 Hawking Radiation and Information Loss

discussion Discussion
Viewing 7 reply threads
    • In general relativity, black holes are like one-way security vaults. Information goes in and never comes out. However, information loss was not a problem so long as black holes didn’t evaporate because determinism was preserved. We could run the equations backwards in time and get the information out through “white holes.” Hawking showed that for evaporating black holes, running the equations backwards in time no longer gives us white holes. Rather, we just get more, information-less Hawking radiation. Do you think information conservation (i.e, determinism) should be a required feature of physical theories and a litmus test of a consistent theory of quantum gravity, as Professor Mathur suggests? Explain your answer.

• Tough question… I don’t know the answer. I’m interested what professor Mathur says about the topic.

• It would be a desired one but shouldn’t be always necessary. Don’t know what to say more.

• A speculative answer will be to keep on the determinism, they may other concepts beyond todays understanding of Quantum Physic and entanglement, e.g. the energy transformed during evaporation of black holes distorts black energy and its surrounding space.

• The conservation of information (cause and effect) is a fundamental tenet of science (as we currently understand it), to abandon it would be taking a blind leap of faith into unknown realms of pure speculation. More like theology than theory.

• Possibly

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

The conservation of energy is a very valid point.

Black hole conforming halos are also a feature noticed on the edge of the universe.

We are not in the media to understand it. As soon as a crucial number of people become familiar with space or circumpolar regions that are space-like, these questions will find answers.

It is ok there are questions, but ground-level studies are needed, from the… Can we call space a biome? No.

• I get information loss all the time it’s called age, and I will eventually collapse into…??? Hmm, maybe I’m paradoxical, I should reexamine my existence.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend