World Science Scholars

4.6 Integrated Information Theory

discussion Discussion
Viewing 40 reply threads
    • What would it take for you to consider an artificial intelligence conscious and capable of receiving human rights? Do you believe that computers can ever be conscious? Do you think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness? Explain your answers.

• No. Computers will only ever emulate consciousness. No “bing”.

• Não. Os computadores apenas associarão as nossas formas de pensar pelas pesquisas

• We would need to have a complete understanding what contentiousness actually is. IIT sounds like a step in the right direction however, as expand in this lesson, it sounds more like a description of it’s characteristics than a true understanding.

• No, this is my personal opinion that until we know the physical basis of consciousness we cannot make computers feel conscious. I even feel that natures limitations might come in at some point and certainly at this point that mimicking human consciousness seems impossible because its basic understanding says that its subjective.
      Not only it differs from humans to other animals but also differs among humans to certain level that within ones human life (a normal life without any illnesses) we see different level of consciousness, varying degree of consciousness. As we have studied that there are some basic axioms that show us something is living and one of them is ageing and here we can see how ageing affects consciousness so, we can say that until something is alive it cannot have conscious experience.

• What would it take for you to consider an artificial intelligence conscious and capable of receiving human rights?
      Societal concensus and change in the laws, following persuasive new evidence. They would not necessarily be human rights but something analogous in the rights spectrum.

Do you believe that computers can ever be conscious?
      Yes, because for example one might create a computer out of brain matter or brains or integrate brains and computers.

Do you think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness?
      This is possible because we have often been able to create something e.g. fire without at the time understanding its physical basis. We have also been able to expand consciousness historically through psychotropic drugs without at the time understanding the physical basis.

• I think that just like Dr. Koch addressed in the lecture, if consciousness was truly replicated in the sense that an AI entity had the ability to hold cause-and-effect power over their “mind,” then consciousness might be achieved. I think his answer to “if we could fully stimulate a human brain, would it be conscious?” was interesting. He said there is a profound difference between simulation and experience. The computer’s sensation and perception is created, chosen, and transferred to it by a human programmer, not directed by it’s internal “freewill.”

Do I believe that computers can ever be conscious? I think computer science has the ability to create artificial intelligence with different levels or states of consciousness that arise from maybe a “law” or “constant” that is programmed in it. In other words if we somehow replicate a form of DNA and the computer grows and learns from those rules based off of perceptive experiences. But to be honest, I don’t believe we can ever scientifically define consciousness; I think we will just be able to describe it. I believe we were created by God and bear His image and this is beyond the scope of not only science and physics, but even the philosophy of Descartes.

• What would it take for you to consider an artificial intelligence conscious and capable of receiving human rights?
      AI is computer and is not human, so I would deny human rights for computers.

No. But most certainly computers can simulate consciousness. In future perhaps “better” than humans.

Do you think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness?

Yes we are. However, the exact duplication of human consciousness is not possible. We can build computer consciousness.

• Si nosotros los humanos no podemos entender bien la conciencia dudo que la inteligencia artificial pueda, ya que los parámetros impuestos por el creador serán limitantes,

• Partiendo de hecho que estar consciente refiere a ser consciente que soy y estoy, pienso que una computadora podría simular este estado impuesto por el creador . Una computadora que no posee emociones sensaciones sentimientos no creo que cree empatía Respecto a los derechas humanos

• I would have to first know what consciousness is to answer these questions.

• no, we can’t create conscious artificial intelligence if we don’t even understand our own consciousness in its entirety

• I think that to create a new conscience, it is necessary to be able to know a minimum number of different consciences, and we have not achieved that yet, so yes, I think that at some point we will achieve it, but I don’t know when

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • If my computer asks me a question and I know for sure that it was not programmed to ask that question, then I will suspect that the computer has spontaneously generated that question. I will then suspect the computer has developed a sense of curiosity, which might go hand-in-hand with conciousness. Or suppose the computer simply accesses the internet by itself, without being prompted to, and then announces “hey, I just discovered this article on…” that would perhaps imply conciousness. In fact, it would also imply that the computer has developed a “theory of mind” because it thinks I will be interested to hear what it has just learned.

• Once again, the conclusive answer to these questions must necessarily come back to the defining quality of consciousness: State of awareness from a genuine first-person perspective.

Does the AI computer (such as Samantha in the movie Her, for example) have her own first-person viewpoint? Unfortunately, there is no way to tell. As Rene Descartes reminded us all with “I think, therefore I am,” the only viewpoint that any of us can possibly vouch for is our own.

Does Samantha genuinely have her own thoughts and first-person perspective? Or is she simply playing out an incredibly advanced machine-learning algorithm? Sadly, the only way we’d be able to answer with certainty would be to somehow become her and see whether it actually does “feel like anything” to be Samantha.

Barring this ability to assume her identity, we cannot state one way or the other whether she has her own first-person perspective, regardless of the type of hardware that she has — any more than we can definitively attest to the consciousness of the fellow human beings in our lives who are nearest and dearest to us.

Then again, I don’t rule out the possibility that I might even be simulated! For kicks, see the YouTube video entitled “Is Reality Real? The Simulation Argument,” among many others.

As preposterous as it might initially sound, Nick Bostrom’s Simulation Argument unifies so many radically different models that we have been given for eons, from the days of antiquity straight through modern times — in terms of Plato’s Allegory of the Cave, the Holographic Universe, and the countless philosophical, spiritual, literary, and artistic traditions that have asserted that the world that we think we know so well is ultimately an illusion.

Personally, I believe that the avatar role that I play in this lifetime is an individualized fractal of a much greater whole — a simulated character in a multiverse that expands far and wide beyond this present plane alone.

Indeed … these are some pretty deep thoughts coming from a replicant … lol.

• Artificial consciousness is possible once we understand the prerequisites of our own consciousness.

I am not sure that artifical intelligence conscious is capable of receiving human rights. The machine does not have the same physicological construt that a human does and therefore the rights or laws applicable to such are different. We could minick the consciousness of humans in machines but it would never be exact and should never be afforded the protections we provide in society for human beings.
      For some of the reasoning and logic displayed by Dr. Koch, I do not believe that computers will ever be conscious. They might get better at reading humans and processing the information faster than humans but at a super basic level, it is a 1 and 0 passing through a switch that is giving rise to this machine. What does this in humans (neurons) cannot be replicated exactly?
      No, I do not because I believe that the understanding of the physical basis of our own consciousness is what is defined by consciousness. Meaning it takes that physicological aspect in our to create a “real” conscious and if we don’t have that and we don’t understand that then everything above that is potentially not true. It is the search for the holy grail formula or rule set that will define everything above it to be true.

• What would it take for you to consider an artificial intelligence conscious and capable of receiving human rights? Do you believe that computers can ever be conscious? Do you think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness? Explain your answers.

I’m honestly not against the possibility of AI being conscious, but in order for me to reach a safe level of certainty, we will need a method that will allow us to measure its ability of having a causal influence on itself accurately. It is too early to tell if computers can be conscious or not, I believe that we have to be able to understand the basis of our own consciousness first before we go to that direction, after we understand the basis of our own consciousness, then maybe we can think of a way to create its artificial version.

• En el caso de que se llegase a simular una consciencia con su respectiva capacidad para afectar en sí misma, creo que en ese punto, es probable que sí se genere consciencia. Pero para imitarlo, debe tener detrás un mecanismo físicamente similar al que hay detrás de cualquier consciencia

• La computación solo puede lograr emular un estado de consciencia, la consciencia es algo inmaterial que surge de un cerebro formado por estructuras vivas que contienen y procesan informacion en sumultaneo y de forma coordinada, el grado de pensamiento que surge de estimulos externos y la forma unica que tiene cada persona o ser vivo de procesarlo es lo que lo hace único.

• What degree of intelligence would I consider in the range of human or greater, might be a better question.I like the idea of a causal test that the Integrated Information Theory posits as a beginning but granting “human rights” to an AI is a question that needs to be examined by conscious intelligences in many disciplines including philosophy, ethics, law, anthropology as well as neuro-biological and physics and more.
      After seeing the play, “The Curious Case of Watson Intelligence,” I asked the person I was with a simple question: Would it be a crime to disconnect the power from an electronic conscious AI?
      I don’t know.

• Esta questão foi brilhantemente explicada no video anterior… Inteligência Artificial define, genericamente, a capacidade de uma máquina “pensar”, “agir”, “sentir” como um ser humano, ou seja, responder de forma coerente ao Teste de Turing, passar no teste de Turing ….Mas, uma AI poderá replicar esses “comportamentos” e “emoções” mas será um ser dotado de consciência? Não, de todo…

• La idea de simular la consciencia en una computadora es interesante, pero parte de la consciencia es sensible, por muchos algoritmos y caminos que un programa de computadora pueda aprender para simular tener consciencia, siempre estará limitada. Aún cuando físicamente se pueda descubrir y replicar la generación de la consciencia, hay una parte que no tiene que ver con lo físico y esa es la que una computadora no puede tener.

• yes, i think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness. The AI of that time will be more advanced and the programmers will be sure to make the right settings to control the AI’s conciousness and experiment properly as well.

• what are Dr. Koch’s thoughts on Roger Penrose’s theory of conciseness?

• LA INTELIGENCIA HUMANA SERA SIEMPRE INSUSTITUIBLE

• Maybe the real “us” are our brain waves and not the underlying computation that the brain does. Maybe the brain waves are not mere artifacts but have ontological power – they are what we are. In that case, anything that doesn’t exhibit brain waves is not conscious but it’s a zombie.

• No, human beings can build and program software systems, we can even create an amazing integration between hardware and software that a human can emulate, but creating an organism with a conscience is not possible, we can also grant rights, create responsible terms and conditions on the use of new technologies, but it is not possible to give human rights to something that is not human.

• There is a project in a Scientific Research Institute in Russia, which seeks to transmit human consciousness to a machine, this experiment is interesting, and we do not know if Russian scientists will succeed, what we do know is that if they manage to transfer human consciousness to a machine, not for this we will consider the system as a human, to confer human rights to a living being, it is logical that it has to belong to the human species.

• No . Computer has no being.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are in a lecture telling us that consciousness occurs on the cortex blanket.

And so, the blanket can be replicated. How big, or how connected to other cortex blankets will be experimented with.

These creatures in Sci-fi get called Cymechs, cyborgs, and super soldiers.

They have limited biology.

There may be the factor of mechanical immortals not being organic, but if all that is required is cortex blankets, they can be found.

IIT states an influencing factor seems to determines consciousness. And so a cymech will plant potatoes, then interface to move a mountain with a mega machine or unified drones.

The artificial lives have no ancestors in an afterlife. This is similar to revolutions erasing the past and future by propaganda.

The artificial lives require the guidance of tolerance. Being unique, they will never belong. Being alone they may self-replicate.
      When no discipline guides purpose and meaning, people go astray, and so too will artificials.

We can create other lives without understanding pur own. When we are without history, we are controlled by technology.

• Artificial intelligence has no cortex and thalamus, and silicon-based cannot produce true biological consciousness. Only by linking the human brain can there be a chance.

• but if we do not know what exactly consciousness is, than how can we know for sure that we did not create it? ( or will create it)

• Ms Rockney,

We can know what consciousness is.

My bias as a distributer exists, but it is the best online to he found-

www. monroeinstitute.org

Consciousness is often considered an out there concept, but Robert A. Monroe was a normal businessman that pioneered the mapping of consciousness.

His legacy continues in the Faber, VI area.

Often because his research was not initially… Curtailed by religion, he gave us all ideas about what consciousness is. As a North American, Robert didn`t have a cultural gap we often see mystics have in North America, so we recognize him as one of us, hopefully looking out for us in his ideals.

Emergent species are studied by ASU Prof. Sara Walker, and Dimitar Sassilov states once emerged we can have a better Super-earth, but Robert A. Monroe is often overlooked as an important American pioneer.

Many of WSU Prof.s are also pioneers.

Legacies of North America include freedom of religion because we notice it has a world Vatican slavery element to it, often too strong to counteract outside Europe or New England.

Monroe Institute helps the definition of what consciousness is. WSU tells us it occurs on the cortex, so try to have a liquid diet.

🙂

• Mr. (Dr?.) Gurbin-

Thank you so much for the comment!
        While I have seen some amazing advancements in the ideology and understanding of the actual biological components and systems of what consciousness is – I have yet found someone to actually explain (or have a complete picture) of how it is derived and created within us. We know where it sort of exists – but do not have a complete picture of how and why. I understand we have made strides in this area – but if we did not create our own consciousness and do not have a complete understanding of how it arose – how can we predict if there are other forms of consciousness or if it can be built in other ways. I will check out the website – thanks!
        Heidi Rockney

• No, we can’t create conscious AI if we don’t even understand our own consciousness in it’s entirety

• I dont know, maybe yes in the future BUT i think always will be different because they’ll using sensors to feel wather, hot, and i don’t know if they can make emotions…

• I certainly wont agree with this statement, computer can never achieve that. As an human you have those natural, as being consious you can think and do things, the computer can’t imagine of even it is the super-computer. The nature can never be imbedded into computer. One fun example: We often go after mood swings from being angry to sad and happy we are rational and we can do but imagine computer doing this. They are program for certain purpose.

• Determining whether an AI is conscious and deserving of human rights is indeed a complex and debated topic. While computers can simulate human-like behavior, the current consensus is that they lack true understanding and self-awareness. AI operates based on programmed algorithms and lacks the subjective experiences that shape human consciousness. AI’s capabilities are limited to imitating human behavior rather than having genuine understanding of the world.

• In summary: It would require unambiguous proof of experimentation and demonstration of unpredictable abstract qualities through the code such as: love, empathy, hate, arrogance, compassion, justice.
      Consciousness generates unpredictability in general human terms. When several Artificial Intelligences read each other’s source code and are unable to foresee a large number of decisions and behaviors of this entity, we begin to define a conscience.
      Conscience does not make us wholly just and righteous, nor does it make us wholly evil and despicable. The same also occurs in non-human animals. The same should occur with the conscience of any other entity that is candidate to be conscience.

• Ao que parece, temos uma grande dúvida sobre livre arbítrio, se os impulsos cerebrais ocorrem antes da ação consciente, ou há um delay na transmissão de informações ou temos de fato a falsa sensação de nossos escolhas.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend