World Science Scholars

2.6 Life as a Planetary Phenomenon

discussion Discussion
Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Dr. Sasselov says that we need to significantly broaden our understanding of life in order to search for life on other worlds, but the type of planet we are searching for is similar to our own. Is the search for super-Earths limiting? Do you think we are right to ignore other types of planets, like gas giants, in our search for extraterrestrial life? Explain your answer.

• Gffv vc g. V

• As mentioned during the talk, the geochemical composition of the planet plays a crucial role in supporting life. Gas giants like Jupiter, given their unique chemical composition, are highly unlikely to support any potential life forms as we define life on Earth. Therefore, it is useful not to consider such gas giants while searching for extraterrestrial life. However, they can have large terrestrial satellites that could exist in the habitable zone, and therefore, it would be right to consider them but only for their satellites and not the planet itself.

• I absolutely agree with you on this. There is need to take into consideration what type of planet to research on. However just as you mentioned, scientist should also take notes of other satellites in their habitable zones.

• I think we should keep an open mind but for now we should focus on Earth-like planets since they seem to provide a higher chance of finding life than others. As technology improves, we could broaden up our observation to other non-Earth like planets.

• 🙁

• Agree to manan

• While I understand that there is a higher likely hood of finding life when searching other life-like planets, I do believe we should expand the search to other types. Life might very well, and in my opinion is likely to, go beyond our understanding and scientific knowledge, and planets that we might think are impossible to harbor life could have thriving ecosystems.

• 👍

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I apologize for my slidy touchscreen typos and quirky errors. At best, e-communication is 20% of authenticity.

Astronomy needs to help us forgive the work in progress.

Is the search for super-Earths limiting?

Is it right we ignore the gas giants for SuperEarths?

It is not right, nor meet as we Anglicans learn our Biblical phrases.

Star evolution is evolving science.

Openstax (free) 2E Astronomy from Rice University is now saying the collapsed core object list that used to be common (CCO- please merit this to me, from ANU research under Prof. francis and Now Chancellor Schmidt) is being updated.

Old knowledge only said of star evolution to white dwarf electron stars and neutron stars- protons to the cosmic rays, mostly. 🙂

The new study page 781 of 2E says now super nova can be a planet or brown star at smaller mass levels.

Small stars have small planets.

EPFL of Prof. Mike Meyers and Prof. DD state Jupiter originally was at 50 AU before dropping down.

Jupiter used to be a star- before one of three processes- beryllium ISM extinguishing, Sol drained it, or an incomplete super nova.

ISM research is found with Uni of New Hampshire.

So we need Galilean moons as dwarf planets in reclassification.

Think of red dwarves we read of- Brown dwarves are from class G stars.

So think over what a gas, liquid, or brown dwarf variation giant really is.

I have no data on Saturn.

Ask Prof. Ralph Lorenz of JHU.

Thank you to WSU for the opportunity to present this research.

Mostly I only send it to Prof. Sabine Stanley in JHU for her ongoing Jupiter research.

CLG

• I don’t believe it is right to strike off gaseous planets while not having a fundamental definition for life. However, resources and time can be better spent on habitable planets rather than gaseous and inhabitable ones.

• Ladies and Gentlemen,
      ♑♑♑♑♑♑♑♑

It is incredible we have an opportunity to discuss this topic in the grace of both Nobel and decorated scientists. Thanks to Prof. Greene for WSU, and for gentle mentorship & friendly… Governance! 🙂

When Astronomy is not yet decided upon if a gas giant is a liquid giant also, we see vaccilations in the field on the very classification of what a gas giant is.

Astrobiology of exoplanets allows for extraterrestrial life even in methane environments. If there is always microbial life on super Earths, will gravity allow life on denser gravity giants? Have a good day WSU alumni reading this. 🙂

Is our data complete on ISM growth of the outter planets? Are the giants only fed by local solarwind or also by an ISM somehow crossing the Bowshock regions that are said to turn back ISM in turmoil regions of riptides?

I apologize if this post seems stupid in a knowledge gap, often we are tolerated by what we do not know.

🙂🍵☕🍵🍵

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • Dr. Sasselov’s statement suggests that we need to expand our understanding of life by looking for Earth-like planets, such as super-Earths, as they are the most similar to our own planet in terms of their potential habitability. Other types of planets may host large moons with potentially habitable conditions, so it is important to remain open-minded and continue searching for them.

• In my opinion we should give more attention towards earth which can provide better mode for residence instead of others. we are using trillions of dollars for new planet inventions if we use almost quarter of it we can resolve all problems of earth.

• Ladies & Gentlemen,

Muhammad Sohaib Iqbal has made a strong statement.

We have recognized that the Earth can be developed, but also seek better space perspectives.

We can develop polar regions.

Polarcusp areas have 10x radiation, are nearer to space, and have vast resources.

I am trying to figure out how Canada can make a 99 -year lease to China to de-escalate Taiwan.

Taiwan is an old refuge for Chinese enemies, not only for Chiang Hai Shek (sp?) from WWII.

There is an island in Canada’s North Arctic sea with a Saudi Arabian type oil patch. This island has Cambridge Bay in the south, likely a polygnot open water area as most successful Inuit communities can fish year-round in. The oil is on thr Northeast Peninsula region.

My former boss from Resolute Bay says Canada will not develop resources for another 100 years in Nunavut. He made logistics for NASA on Devon Island.

I say we let China develop infrastructure. They take the oil and leave after 99-years. We give the oil away for no war.

No more Taiwan conflict as a stipulation. Free oil near Prudhoe Bay in Alaska, but China has to go and get it.

An engineering & polar 60 foot Arctic Sea wave challenge instead of a war. I think i know the people to talk to about this, but am unsure. Help is appreciated. Canadians will be upset, but infrastructure will be built and returned in 99-years. No one else could build anything there. It is too expensive, so very similar to space. Lower atmospheres, disc like swirl instead of centrifugal spinning. A good place to practice a moonbase.

CLG

Hopefully Prof. Sasselov is ok with approaching Astrobiology from the Arctic. In the search for extraterrestrial life & exoplanets, Arctic conditions develop relevant technologies.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend