World Science Scholars

3.6 LIGO’s Success

discussion Discussion
Viewing 40 reply threads
    • What does LIGO mean to you? How does LIGO compare to other major scientific achievements of the 20th and 21st centuries?

• I believe LIGO truly showcases the great discoveries that can be made by humanity when engineers and physicists come together from across the world to push the boundaries of science. LIGO especially showcases the thorough scientific methodology that is required to arrive at breakthrough findings. Being able to create detectors with that amount of precision requires great engineering and understanding of noise elimination. Once the data had been recorded, it was especially interesting to compare Einstein’s theory to the real data, seeing how both models worked hand-in-hand. LIGO pushed the boundaries of accuracy in instrumentation and international collaboration, proving that science keeps improving — it is a major scientific achievement of our time.

• I think LIGO has the potential to be an extraordinary research tool.Between LIGO, quantum computing, and some of the new telescopes, hopefully will be able to provide better direction and focus for Theoretical Physicists.

• all the information about detecting gravitational waves just opened my mind for lot more then before. incredible!

• LIGO will help a lot with investigationssss. This is just incredible

• I think LIGO, along with experiment facilities like CERN provide good reason to pursue science. LIGO in particular, shows how we must not give up on science. And it really fills people like me with tons of curiosity.

• This is a new window on the universe.

• Advancement in science and new innovations for the industry, i.e. technology transfer.

• LIGO is the latest and one of the major scientific undertakings in human history.
      It has pushed the limits of measurement to the range where quantum effects take place.
      It has benefited from the creativity of great minds across the world in order design state of the the art detection devices
      It has effectively demonstrated the existence of phenomena that Einstein himself predicted and considered unmeasurable.
      LIGO is the gateway to a totally new way of observing the universe.
      We are so lucky to be alive at this point in history as to learn from the discovery of these waves!
      It will bring our knowledge of Astronomy and Cosmology to limits we can hardly imagine today

• According to me LIGO has changed the way of looking to the cosmology! The GWs LIGO detected can penetrate thorough every thing in the universe and the data obtained can study them.

• The observation of the black holes merging took my breath away. On one hand the magnificence, nearly impossible, engineering. But even more so it brought an insignificant theoretical wave into reality. In an instant from practically speaking useless, to a new way to observe the universe, including things that can’t be observed any other way. Since this is a new way of looking, the new knowledge will be amazing.
      OK this is a personal feeling there may have been uses of GWs before LIGO, however I’m not in the field and not aware of them.

• I am very appreciative of the positive influence of international collaborative efforts involved in this project. LIGO is evidence of the better parts of humanity, striving and preserving in perilous times. Science has always served as a significant global bonding force that unites humanity in furtherance of a greater good. As above, so below.

• yes LIGO would be our first step to understand the universe deeply and in the way ahead of the newtonian way.

• “Gravity” has been a unexplored territory to experimentation due to the low frequencies and extreme sensitivity required for measuring. LIGO has brought in a proof that gravitational valves exist and it has stunned the world with its 2016 observation. As Dr. Rai Weiss has explained, one achieving the further low freq. detections, we can expect a lot to come in this field.

• Working for LIGO is my dream…
      I am studying all I can to reach there

• Wonderful

• yes

• Achievement in science, that’s what LIGO represents.

• LIGO will be yet another one of time our greatest inventions as a species. Tools have always served us and this is a tool which will enhance our sensory abilities and therefore our reality as it aids us as an eye capable of detecting gravitational waves and provides solid evidence supporting a theory that has seen a lack of supporting evidence for centuries.

• if you replicate the full experiment, at a quantum level, for instance a quantum interferometer that can detect when small particle collide, you can complement CERN at making predictions like how the higgs field is affect by such collisions….These are my thoughts: LIGO is a large version of such experiment, and QIGO could be the quantum level derivation which can achieve such a thing…my real question is, why not marry both CERN and LIGO to achieve the QIGO/LHC. Kind of a weird thought, but science started from weird, which later was named, science fiction, which later turned out to be verifiable and confirmed, leading to the Laws of Physics, etc. I say, build QIGO/LHC and you can intensify the reality of how particles under collision, specially the Higgs Field behave.

• What does LIGO mean to you?
      LIGO represents the start of a deeper understanding of the fabric of physics. We will learn where and how things create and move. The detail on energy transfer will be significant contributions to our total understanding of the cosmos.
      How does LIGO compare to other major scientific achievements of the 20th and 21st centuries?
      It represents that next step and deeper dive into the understanding of energy. There is so much that we do not know but will start to understand with LIGO that it will be exciting over the next few years.

• To me, LIGO is a revolutionary breakthrough/advancement in science. Gravitational waves are central to our understanding of the universe, and to have a piece of technology that can assist with detecting them is super cool. I think gravitational waves definitely earn a spot among the top scientific greatest discoveries ever.

• LIGO is great, but it would be really cool to see a gravitational waves interferometer in outer space, where there’s no Earth-related noise and you can also make it really big since you’re not limited in length like on Earth. That’s what I’m waiting for.

• I think LIGO has the potential to be an extraordinary research tool. Between LIGO, quantum computing, and some of the new telescopes, hopefully, will be able to provide better direction and focus for Theoretical Physicists

• I believe LIGO truly showcases the great discoveries that can be made by humanity when engineers and physicists come together from across the world to push the boundaries of science. LIGO especially showcases the thorough scientific methodology that is required to arrive at breakthrough findings. Being able to create detectors with that amount of precision requires great engineering and understanding of noise elimination. Once the data had been recorded, it was especially interesting to compare Einstein’s theory to the real data, seeing how both models worked hand-in-hand. LIGO pushed the boundaries of accuracy in instrumentation and international collaboration, proving that science keeps improving — it is a major scientific achievement of our time.

• I think LIGO, along with experiment facilities like CERN provide good reason to pursue science. LIGO in particular, shows how we must not give up on science. And it really fills people like me with tons of curiosity.

• LIGO truly will help to look into more secrets of Universe in coming years.

• LIGO can make astrophysics even more interesting and practical based

• To me LIGO is a door opener. A proof of concept that showcases that there is another universe waiting to be explored out there outside or in parallel to the electromagnetically detectable one.

The discovery makes me think of Galileo’s awe when first realizing that the small “stars” nearby Jupiter are actually its satellites.

Can’t wait to see what the minimum viable product will show after it starts operating in space in the years to come.

• I believe GW Astronomy is the right step towards the future of cosmology, while LIGO is a milestone that marks the beginning of this incredible field.

• What does LIGO mean to you?
      LIGO means advancements, LIGO means the thirst for knowledge, LIGO means the future and new discoveries we have yet to unlock. It’s best to keep our peepers open and be listening, then to miss the chance of a lifetime.

How does LIGO compare to other major scientific achievements of the 20th and 21st centuries?
      It is amazing, it’s difficult to rate it in comparison to other scientific advancement. Being able to explain and solve complex phenomena, and creating functionally better equipment is fundamentally at the heart of science. We will never know until we try, and in trying to understand gravitational wave theory better. Then we can truly begin to unravel some more mysterious of the universe. This could be the project that sparks something or someone in the right direction to unlock things we couldn’t even begin to fathom we stumble across keys more often than we believe, and we just need to find the lock and use the key to see what is held within.

• I believe LIGO and quantum computing open the door to a vast array of new scientific discoveries. There is so much to explore , and we live in a very exciting time for research into the unknown parts of the universe. The James Webb Space Telescope has just amazed the word with it`s incredible new images. LIGO and othernew projects will add to that sense of wonder.

• We’ve got to figure when our radio wave signals loop back and forth in time with the easiest fluctuations in spacetime to do so. I’ve got to check out new gravity balanced mattresses.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

The LIGO is a god. We are told not to worship false gods, but after the patience to refit between 2010 & 2015, the sheer effort to continue is very incredible.

LIGO and the detection of material we know must exist is a testimony to the willpower of the minds of people seeking truth and sweating buckets for it to materialize.

What other business could have no results and then including a five-year refitting?

Just incredible.

And maintaining GRADAR on the radar of possibility is all very incredible.

Thanks to Prof. Mike Turner for pulling out yer teeth and nails for us to get to the almost accidental sept. 14th event soon followed by the December event that was well prepared for.

LIGO compares to colour TV. Nuclear power generation. The car.

LIGO is a god!

Off to L5!

• Thanks to Prof. Rai Weiss for the course. I apologize for mistaken identity. Not only is LIGO god, but you are too. 🤠

• LIGO means a lot everything to me. Comparison of LIGO with other such projects may have a little to do with. It has its own contribution to the enhancement of human understanding of the nature. It is obvious every later development will be more advanced and prestigious to its previous counterparts. What ulstimately matters, I believe, is that, how scientific, meaningful, democratic, considerate, peaceful we all are evolving into day by day in the human society.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the future analysis of LIGO we see Prof. Weiss has made a reference to how Prof. Francis Graham-Smith and his people blossomed science with radio telescope work.

The reference that Gravitational wave science will have spinoffs may lead also to reconsider how an accelerating universe can travel at fifty times the speed of light as claimed by ASU faculty.

We cannot travel faster than Einsteins`constant, but the Dark Energy expansion is allowed this possibility, call it a cosmic expansion double standard.

Is that Dark Energy expansion somehow linked to gravity waves?

Can it be linked? Is fifty times the speed of light simply a cold version of a continuous Big Bang that has learned to occur in colder temperatures from the original 3,000 K?

🙂

• great

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen Alumni,

Thank-you to Prof. Weiss for his astounding efforts and to Prof. Greene & co. for bringing the WSU together here.

Recently my inputs for ZOONIVERSE and a sister to LIGO in Italy called VIRGO ( my keyboard sliding text actually typed NIRO[🌿] before VIRGO! 🙂) counts 1961 classifications.

In my opinion, attending the WSU to have an education can utilize the ZOONIVERSE practice with VIRGO so we can all get jobs at either place, or the Japanese Gravity Interferometer.

You know, i couldn`t even pronounce interferometer properly last year! Goes to show that Prof. Weiss and LIGO are in celestial realms. 🙂

Have a good day- ZOONIVERSE app often has people such as myself workin` it whenever possible, so expect delays in… Practicum!!! 🙂

WSU PRACTICUM!!! 🙂 find the zooniverse app at the google store. Scroll to -space-, then scroll to -gwitch hunters-.

🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿

• Very informative thanks to all for a job well done, this has expanded my view significantly. One of many questions still roaming around my mind is ‘What would the calculated mass be of a BH with a R of 13.8 billion light years?’.

• Hi, Were this 13.8 bln LY the Schwartzchild radius (rs) I’d suggest the rs = 2GM/(c*c) thing. BR JKi

• Thanks to Gravitational Wave Astronomy (Optical and Radio) there will be more technical solutions to discover objects an their behaviours in the universe.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend