World Science Scholars

2.1 Modern Understanding of Consciousness

discussion Discussion
Viewing 17 reply threads
    • undefined

• There are several videos of the Dalai Lama explaining consciousness. I have also read Casteneda, he perfectly describes perception. Those that the Gurus, philosophers and thinkers knew by mere intuition and empirical observation give us more insights than what scientists try to explain with machines. Some say that we are only remembering that nothing is under our control, that is, there is a lot of information implanted in that consciousness that makes us act in the The way we act …

• There are several videos of the Dalai Lama explaining consciousness. I have also read Casteneda, he perfectly describes perception. Those that the Gurus, philosophers and thinkers knew by mere intuition and empirical observation give us more insights than what scientists try to explain with machines. Some say that we are only remembering that nothing is under our control, that is, there is a lot of information implanted in that consciousness that makes us act in the The way we act …

• It would be interesting to know what or why a thought becomes conscious. Similar to what Professor Koch used as an example: as a thought ‘pops’ into a teenagers head and they do something stupid. What makes this thought conscious and what makes a person act on that thought, or not act on that thought. Maybe there is more to reality that we can perceive.

• Split brain experiments have people responding to questions and requests without awareness, or ability to put perceptions into language. Is this state really “conscious” since it is not aware of its own perceptions? How do you explain lack of awareness a
      nd still call it conscious??

• The question that Christof raises at the end of this video about the differences observed in brain hardware between conscious and unconscious action is so interesting, because it’s not nearly as clear-cut as one might reasonably expect. I’m sure he’ll be getting into the “Binding Problem” in a later section as well — how do all of the individual components processed in separate compartments of the brain come together to form what we perceive as a single stream of conscious experience in any given moment? These questions seem so simple — based upon how effortlessly they appear to be performed from our perspective, to the point where we can easily take them for granted — yet they remain some of the deepest mysteries still to be untangled.

• There’s an even greater issue for the binding problem: how can spacelike separated entities such as neurons get unified in a single experience? The neurons are not on top of each other but they are each in their own location in spacetime, they have their own frame of reference and they have their own causal lightcone. So how can you unify all that in a single experience if you insist that classical physics is enough?

My hunch is that the brain waves are essential – they are the important factor when consciousness is the topic and not necessarily the computation that’s being done by the brain. It might be that the brain waves are what we are and not mere artifacts of electrical current in the brain.

• The question that Christof raises at the end of this video about the differences observed in brain hardware between conscious and unconscious action is so interesting, because it’s not nearly as clear-cut as one might reasonably expect. I’m sure he’ll be getting into the “Binding Problem” in a later section — how do all of the individual components processed in separate compartments of the brain come together to form what we perceive as a single stream of conscious experience? These questions seem so simple — based upon how effortlessly they appear to be performed from our perspective, to the point where we can easily take them for granted — yet they remain some of the deepest mysteries still to be untangled.

• The question that Christof raises at the end of this video about the differences observed in brain hardware between conscious and unconscious action is so interesting, because it’s not nearly as clear-cut as one might reasonably expect. I’m sure he’ll be getting into the “Binding Problem” — how do all of the individual components processed in separate compartments of the brain come together to form what we perceive as a single stream of conscious experience? These questions seem so simple — based upon how effortlessly they appear to be performed from our perspective, to the point where we can easily take them for granted — yet they remain some of the deepest mysteries still to be untangled.

• If you don’t have emotions, how can you fear death?

• me doy cuenta de que no somos conscientes de muchas cosas. Pero creo que pueden haber partes del cerebro de las que no seamos totalmente inconscientes, pero que tal vez no sabemos interpretar debido a la limitación del lenguaje

• undefined

• The locality of consciousness when linked to brain health.

• Some theories suggest that consciousness arises due to emergent properties of interactions between brain cells, while others emphasize the importance of neural connectivity and brain networks.
      Furthermore, artificial intelligence is also playing an increasing role in understanding consciousness. Researchers are exploring how to replicate or simulate consciousness in machines, which raises philosophical and ethical questions about the meaning of consciousness and its role in creating intelligent agents.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend