World Science Scholars

4.5 The First Detection

discussion Discussion
Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Do you think the funding of future large-scale, billion-dollar astronomy facilities like LIGO should be a national priority? Explain your answer.

• To some degree, it’s complicated.

. New instrument extends LIGO’s reach, the quantum squeezer.
      http://news.mit.edu/2019/ligo-reach-quantum-noise-wave-1205

• Looking at national budgets and their management, you’ll see and understand pretty quickly that no nation, not even the larger ones, could afford to set aside a billion dollar fund (per year!) for a single project. You need to consider building time, in-service support and, finally, the dismantling (i.e. the so-called life cycle costs of a project).

• Yeah I think Gravitational Waves are the new astrophysical window to what we think as the Cosmos. Dear World Science U, I have two questions for the Experts, these are here
      1. How can Gravitational Waves tell us about the existence of Extra Spatial Dimensions and of indeed Strings in String Theory??
      2. We need a theory for Quantum Space-time and a sophisticated theory of Quantum Gravity, my point is that I study Loop Quantum Gravity so how Gravitational waves can be described by Loop Quantum Gravity??
      3. Why a Gravitational Wave will fail to escape the Event Horizon of a Black Hole??
      4. If a Gravitational Wave will fail from escaping a Black hole, then how we observed those Gravitational waves.
      5. What is the plan after the Magellan telescopes on Earth??

• I think it should be one of the priorities. The reason is technology transfer to the existing markets and generating new markets.

• If you can detect macro scale black holes in Macro Quantum Gravity, then have they also detected nano scale black holes in the LHC at the micro quantum level?

• International priority at the very least. Science is a unifying force for humanity’s prosperity and the furtherance of evolution on a peaceful manner. The more multinational agreements and cooperation that occurs, the better for everyone and the collective.

• I think that everything that has to do with science, learning and discoveries should be a priority, but we cannot compare this with health for example

• In science, according to me, everything should be considered a priority.
      Nothing is less than another.

• I have a question that maybe comes from something that i didn’t understand quite well or misunderstood.
      We said that at the moment the black holes collided a part of the collision energy was “used” to generate (or transformed) in gravitational wave (if i am not mistaken, the amount of ca. 3 solar masses). In the beginning of the lecture we said that in general gravitational waves don’t interact that much with matter. So, if they don’t interact that much (for whatsoever reason that needs to be discovered) and have so much energy and travel with the speed of light…. how can it be, that the force, that they exercise in the mirrors of LIGO is so small? Were did the whole energy go? was it converted everything to make the fabric of spacetime vibrate with the speed of light? If so, if we would have 3 solar mass and 6 solar mass of energy transformed in a gravitational wave, would the outcome still be the same?

Thank you 🙂

• No, given my background in military. Science is amazing, but as a national priority is not the way to go. The initiative should be national, but not a priority. Perhaps why scientists are constantly fighting with politics in how to get their projects funded. Survival is the only priority. Remember, science is important, but the soldiers in the front line are the ones risking it all.

• This course is not registering my answers to the exercisequestions.

• anything is possible and most things are unlikely

• I don’t know if a “national priority” but it should carry some weight. It’s hard to say because there must be a balance between its practical applications and doing science just for the sake of curiosity and advancing human knowledge.

• I do believe firmly that this project has far-reaching implications for energy generation. And that this project wasn’t just done out for the sake of curiosity, but out of survival. This research needs to be funded more.

• I believe that scientific research towards energy generators should be the current national priority, but gravitational wave detectors and generators could be implemented into these generators. Thus I do believe that this project is a national priority.

While going through the course I was trying to figure out how to use these wave detectors and the principles inherited within this course to generate energy or to capture the energy and convert it into other types of energy.

The very fact that that single collision generated more energy than all of the light emitted by every star in the universe gives credibility to the idea of capturing this energy form and using it for the advancement of human civilization.

This was an amazing course, and I appreciate you for sharing this knowledge and information with me. And everyone at world science U.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Yes. YES. YES!

LIGO is very important to build. Prof. Berin says LISA has altered funding at the moment and hopefully this changes.

Why? We have accurate maps of the Earth. We need accurate maps of existence.

When we map human consciousness, it will be no mistake. Monroe Institute allows this, scientifically, http://www.monroeinstitute.org

When the maps are properly known, we can chose better lives, and seek them. So LIGO & LISA are very, very important.

What if our maps lead us to a better place?

• Laser optical spring use to remove thermal energy sounds interesting.

So does LIGO ALASKA, in the cold of circumpolar… Space events.

• Difficult question to answer. While scientific research can and does advance mankind, survival is paramount to advancement, if we can survive ourselves then science will lead to the betterment of our survival.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend