World Science Scholars

1.1 The Puzzle of Consciousness

discussion Discussion
Note

Click on the Play/Pause button to watch/stop the video. Use the other controls to change the volume, speed, quality, and size of the video. When you’re done watching the video, click on the Mark Complete button below the video to indicate that you’ve completed this course element. All users can read the associated discussion; however, only registered users can add or reply to comments about the video. This lecture was recorded on May 30, 2015 at the World Science Festival in New York City.

Viewing 43 reply threads
    • I particularly liked the part about the heart vs. the head.

• Just getting interesting and it just stops before the lecture is over?

• undefined

• I think that love and concience are spiritual and brain are the instrument for traduce us it at our terrenal bodys.

• undefined

• undefined

• undefined

• Todo se puede mientras la lucidas del ser humano se mantiene firme como un soldado frente en batalla

• undefined

• The demarcation boundary between the Macrocosm and Micosm is the observer’s eye which focuses the observable Universe on to the retina. From there it is transmitted to the brain which then analyzes it and gives it a definition. We have millions of brains working on this same same analysis day in and day out. If all of us on the dark side of the earth simultaneously loked up and saw the sky will we all analyze it the same way?

• The demarcation boundary between the Macrocosm and Micosm is the observer’s eye which focuses the observable Universe on to the retina. From there it is transmitted to the brain which then analyzes it and gives it a definition. We have millions of brains working on this same same analysis day in and day out. If all of us on the dark side of the earth simultaneously loked up and saw the sky will we all analyze it the same way?

• is an excellent explanation of consciousness

• How rewarding Mr. PhD Christof Kock. When we have so much knowledge and limited time to explain all that knowledge, we will have to make use of all our conscious potential. I sincerely believe that consciousness is measurable and that it can be explained through Quantum Physics. When? When we have the ability to understand it as a whole. The notion of “Being Alive” will have to be revised because the awareness of being alive is very different from simply being alive.

• How rewarding Mr. PhD Christof Kock. When we have so much knowledge and limited time to explain all that knowledge, we will have to make use of all our conscious potential. I sincerely believe that consciousness is measurable and that it can be explained through Quantum Physics. When? When we have the ability to understand it as a whole. The notion of “Being Alive” will have to be revised because the awareness of being alive is very different from simply being alive.

• undefined

• my dad ( a biochemist extremely curious and studious, an amateur scientisit, but a positivist) didn´t believe in the soul, because he couldn´t see it, the mind was a great mistery for him.
      It is amazing that finally humanity is starting to find answers to such a big mistery. It opens the possibility for so many ” professionals of the mind ” and scientisits to join forces and do research in a completely unknown ( mainly in Occidental knowledge) world.

• my dad ( a biochemist extremely curious and studious, an amateur scientisit, but a positivist) didn´t believe in the soul, because he couldn´t see it, the mind was a great mistery for him.
      It is amazing that finally humanity is starting to find answers to such a big mistery. It opens the possibility for so many ” professionals of the mind ” and scientisits to join forces and do research in a completely unknown ( mainly in Occidental knowledge) world.

• undefined

• The brain is the system that makes it possible to interpret consciousness.

• The relationship between body and mind becomes a ‘problem’ when you consider both as discrete things, independent of each other in living beings. But if you consider the mind not as a ‘thing’ but as a ‘process’ arising from the brain, the mind-body relationship seems quite different.

• This is good after the one on brain-machine interfaces to get a good picture of the physio-electrical patterning in the consciousness.

• This is good after the one on brain-machine interfaces to get a good picture of the physio-electrical patterning in the consciousness.

• This is good after the one on brain-machine interfaces to get a good picture for the physio-electrical patterning in the consciousness.

• This is good after the one on brain-machine interfaces to get a good picture for the physio-electrical patterning in the consciousness. There are nerves in the liver and heart too, so one could still say there are feelings there.

• This is good after the one on brain-machine interfaces to get a good picture of the physio-electrical patterning in the consciousness. There are still nerves in the liver and heart too, so one could still say there are feelings there, all part of a nerve tapestry. I rewatched not because I didn’t understand, but because this was great.

• Thanks for the course Prof. Koch

• Thanks for the course Prof. Koch.

American pioneer Robert A. Monroe tells us we are more than a physical body.

The brain focus as the expression of the ghost in the machine often is popular.

• Nice talk, i liked the pizza exemple

• Through consciousness, we have the ability to think, feel, have sensations, emotions and be aware of our own actions and thoughts. But some argue that consciousness is an emergent property of the brain, while others suggest that it may have a more fundamental basis in the universe.
      In this context we can ask ourselves: To what extent is consciousness an exclusive property of human beings, or can it be found in other living beings, such as animals and even in advanced artificial systems?

• undefined

• It is very important to separate the dimentions of the consciousness when we are trying to understand it… thanks Prof. Greetings from Perú

• It is very important to separate the dimentions of the consciousness when we are trying to understand it… thanks Prof. Greetings from Perú

• Muy interesante. Gracias por la explicación!

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend