World Science Scholars

1.6 Defining Free Will

discussion Discussion
NoteNote

Discussions are a place where registered users can click on Reply to share their ideas and questions that follow from the material we’re covering. All users can view the conversation and indicate their like or dislike for a specific comment.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • How do you define free will for yourself? Do you believe that humans really have free will? If we don’t, do you think this presents a challenge to human notions of morality and ethics? Explain your answer.

• I consider free will to be an act of team work with our base reality. Considering all factors in the way the probability theory works and the basic definition of what is to be considered free will, i would suggest that both are interrelated. I believe that humans do have free will to a certain extent. Everything has a predetermined route to follow assigned to the universe and our decisions cause a chain of reactions to them.

• It seems evident that absolute free will does not exist.Rather our free will lies in range of actions that we are capable of compared to non living matter.From a reductionist point of view, we are made up of particles that abide by the laws of physics and that leaves little to no possibility for free will.Still it is our identities that are responsible for our particles and free will or not, it doesnt justify our wrong deeds.I would like to add that behavioral conditioning plays an important part in our actions.

• Every living human beings’ decision making is based on past information that has been assimilated by the brain. The responses come from the brain based on the perceived situation. The physical body just completes the response as ordered. There never is an either/or choice by the physical body in real-time. The brain has already made the choice and passed it on to the body.

• Humans often have the perception of free will about some of their actions and areas of their lives. This perception may be more or less accurate on a case by case basis, depending on how the universe works. It may also be more or less useful on a case by case basis depending on pragmatic considerations.

• How do you define free will for yourself? Do you believe that humans really have free will? If we don’t, do you think this presents a challenge to human notions of morality and ethics? Explain your answer.
      Free Will: Ability to consciously and independently take any decision without any outside interference or influence. Humans having free will depends largely on what kind of decisions is being taken. Yes, one can argue that whatever we are doing is not our own decision so it doesn’t matter what we end up doing.

• Thanks for this

• Super

• I believe that people do have free will. Unfortunately most people fall victim to reactionary responses. If a person is yelled at as a child, and that child runs and hides and in turn feels safe, I predict that in the future they will also run and hide when faced with fear, without much thought at all. The body has learned that when faced with frequency of aggression the reaction is to hide. Our power of free will comes in when we resist the urge to react and hide, and choose to respond differently. What separates man from machine is our power to function outside of our programming, and break free from our own negative algorithms.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend