World Science Scholars

3.5 The Oceans and You

discussion Discussion
Viewing 14 reply threads
    • What experiences have you had with the ocean or observing ocean life?

• As I live inland, not so much. However, several years ago I spent several weeks in Puget sound area and I was able to monitor birdlife and sea surface there. Interesting that trees and other plants are quite similar as those where I’m living. So you cannot necessarily say w/o more detailed study are the plants and trees growing near ocean or near inland lake. More close study confirmed that the soil was more conductive, thus salty. This is of course clearly visible when the plant is under a microscope. Speaking of sealife there are few fish which are adapted to ocean and brackish water. Some of them (or som percentage of them more likely) can survive even in freshwater.

• A few times abalone hunting, got abs once.

• As I live inland, not so much. However, several years ago I spent several weeks in Puget sound area and I was able to monitor birdlife and sea surface there. Interesting that trees and other plants are quite similar as those where I’m living. So you cannot necessarily say w/o more detailed study are the plants and trees growing near ocean or near inland lake. More close study confirmed that the soil was more conductive, thus salty. This is of course clearly visible when the plant is under a microscope. Speaking of sealife there are few fish which are adapted to ocean and brackish water. Some of them (or som percentage of them more likely) can survive even in freshwater.

• The ocean is full of wonder and beauty. I was born in Hawaii but raised in Miami, FL. I’ve always been close to the water, to the ocean. Every word spoken here is truth and one day, soon enough, the appropriate amount of people in the right place will realize this.

• I was born and raised in a place where ocean is the main source of food. Spend my childhood playing in the shore and diving into the water almost everyday. I m lucky to grow up witnessing the beauty of the ocean. And up till now even if I’m already living and studying in a city my love for the ocean will never disappear that’s why when I have break from school or during vacation I always chose to spend my vacation on the beach or in my hometown where I can spend time watching the ocean night and day and practice more diving. Its my dream to explore the ocean freely someday and watch the beautiful corals and different marine species first hand in the deeper part of the ocean.

• Gggvb

• Either beaches or documentaries.

• Scuba diving is the most wonderful and amazing experience I’ve had to be with the oceans so far, also just walking barefoot along the beach, a place where land meets the sea and air and sun, a place where life is so vivid, tidal waves rising and ebbing. During the horseshoe crabs’ breeding and marine turtles’ nesting seasons, the beach is turning into a home-coming party, and I’m extremely thrilled to be in a close contact with these ancient creatures.

• I was astonished to observe the sea life and clean water in Maldives in Indian Ocean.The self sustaining model of Ocean life is quite impressive.I wonder if there was no land and only ocean how things would have evolved. Fish need the water so they can dissolve the oxygen to “breathe”, whereas humans need air (and the high oxygen concentration of the air) to inhale their oxygen content. In present it seems we humans are spoiling both water and air, which in turn can create a disbalance to all the species on earth.

• I noticed a few years ago that when I eat food from the sea my urine smells like a trash dump. It was what alerted me to how many toxins we must be putting in our seas. Most of what is caught in our seas that people consume today is getting increasingly toxic. Then recently I realized that these toxins are in everything on earth & it’s atmosphere. Yet science refuses to speak.

• The way this lady talks kind of sounds like me after getting “How do you knowed ?!”, “well, I know a number of things.” I fortify my gut microbiota with safe and nutritious species of marine phytoplankton and aim for lots of abdominal sun exposure to maintain health, and I hope it passes on to maintain populations and the atmosphere in some way.

• My first experiences with the ocean were watching sea lions at a pier in San Francisco (I don’t remember much more than that) and visiting the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. I loved watching the fish swim at eye level or above.

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Observations of the ocean were mostly in youth, but the thing i recall are how lobster stalk eyes are the same as dragonfly stalk eyes on Ituna, Saskatchewan province, Canada.

Clear waters in the Bahamas are something to crave after enduring -°40 for three months in a row in SK.

The value is a learned and appreciated one.

To discover the aboriginals of West Canada often do not care of the Earth is contradictory to their Eastern Canada propaganda, but money rules all.

Go figure, there is always an East meets West somewhere in the world.

Sylvia Earle has asked about ocean observations. This is difficult while landbound on the Prairies.

In Vancouver, the ocean is glimpsed at but not quite seen beyond the huge breakwall of Vancouver Island. It is warmer than the Prairies. Buildings in the oceanside areas seem wealthier. People seem to be more numerous on water access areas.

Yes, people as aquatic life! 🙂

• I live on the coast but near a sea with brackish waters. The Baltic sea. Very nice and relaxing to spend summer and winter in the Archipelago around Stockholm. Not good diving waters though because of the poor visibility in the waters.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend