World Science Scholars

3.5 The Oceans and You

discussion Discussion
Viewing 7 reply threads
    • What experiences have you had with the ocean or observing ocean life?

• As I live inland, not so much. However, several years ago I spent several weeks in Puget sound area and I was able to monitor birdlife and sea surface there. Interesting that trees and other plants are quite similar as those where I’m living. So you cannot necessarily say w/o more detailed study are the plants and trees growing near ocean or near inland lake. More close study confirmed that the soil was more conductive, thus salty. This is of course clearly visible when the plant is under a microscope. Speaking of sealife there are few fish which are adapted to ocean and brackish water. Some of them (or som percentage of them more likely) can survive even in freshwater.

• A few times abalone hunting, got abs once.

• As I live inland, not so much. However, several years ago I spent several weeks in Puget sound area and I was able to monitor birdlife and sea surface there. Interesting that trees and other plants are quite similar as those where I’m living. So you cannot necessarily say w/o more detailed study are the plants and trees growing near ocean or near inland lake. More close study confirmed that the soil was more conductive, thus salty. This is of course clearly visible when the plant is under a microscope. Speaking of sealife there are few fish which are adapted to ocean and brackish water. Some of them (or som percentage of them more likely) can survive even in freshwater.

• The ocean is full of wonder and beauty. I was born in Hawaii but raised in Miami, FL. I’ve always been close to the water, to the ocean. Every word spoken here is truth and one day, soon enough, the appropriate amount of people in the right place will realize this.

• I was born and raised in a place where ocean is the main source of food. Spend my childhood playing in the shore and diving into the water almost everyday. I m lucky to grow up witnessing the beauty of the ocean. And up till now even if I’m already living and studying in a city my love for the ocean will never disappear that’s why when I have break from school or during vacation I always chose to spend my vacation on the beach or in my hometown where I can spend time watching the ocean night and day and practice more diving. Its my dream to explore the ocean freely someday and watch the beautiful corals and different marine species first hand in the deeper part of the ocean.

• Gggvb

• Either beaches or documentaries.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend