World Science Scholars

3.6 Center of the Universe

discussion Discussion
Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Due to the homogeneous expansion of space, every galaxy sees itself as being in the center of the universe. From its own perspective, all other galaxies are moving away from it. Can any sense be made of this concept of the “center” of the universe? Explain your answer.

• As a cosmology layman, I have a hard time grappling with this notion. On the one hand, I could understand that all galaxies would lie on the surface of an expanding cosmic bubble. This would satisfy me as a reason for each galaxy moving away from each other at an increasing speed. But what about the interior of the bubble. Could it be empty? On the other hand, if matter and galaxies are evenly distributed in the volume of the universe and that it all started from a speck location somewhere, this location should be centrally located vis-à-vis the current universe volume, and, on the average, galaxies should be moving away from that location and it should be possible to measure the direction to it. I could even imagine that there could be multiple expanding and co-centric bubbles.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend