World Science Scholars

4.1 The First Detection

discussion Discussion
Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Improving LIGO will not only increase the number of events recorded, but will also increase the noise figure. Thus enabling better checking of the computed wave form. Increasing detectors will not only give better location accuracy but also increase the noise figure.
      When using pulsars to measure a freq of 10 to the -9 Hz it will take 300 yr to record 10 cycles of the wave. 30 yrs for one cycle, still a bit long. 7.5 yrs of signal could be used in signal processing to estimate the wave form, but noise would have to be quit low (many measurements with low noise instruments.)
      When measuring cosmic microwave background GV wave, a freq of 10 to the -16Hz, it will take 300,000,000 yr to record 1 cycle of the wave. What am I missing.

• Improving LIGO will not only increase the number of events recorded, but will also increase the noise figure. Thus enabling better checking of the computed wave form. Increasing detectors will not only give better location accuracy but also increase the noise figure.
      When using pulsars to measure a freq of 10 to the -9 Hz it will take 300 yr to record 10 cycles of the wave. 30 yrs for one cycle, still a bit long. 7.5 yrs of signal could be used in signal processing to estimate the wave form, but noise would have to be quit low (many measurements with low noise instruments.)
      When measuring cosmic microwave background GV wave, a freq of 10 to the -16Hz, it will take 300,000,000 yr to record 1 cycle of the wave. What am I missing.

• Thank-you to Prof. Nergis for this course.

The future of LIGO is incredible. I can`t wait for LISA!

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend