World Science Scholars

1.6 From Einstein to LIGO

discussion Discussion
NoteNote

Discussions are a place where registered users can click on Reply to share their ideas and questions that follow from the material we’re covering. All users can view the conversation and indicate their like or dislike for a specific comment.

Viewing 27 reply threads
    • In the fifth Office Hours video in this module, Dr. Weiss tells the story of how he came up with the core idea behind LIGO. He did not, in fact, conceive of LIGO as part of his research, but as a thought experiment, he found helpful when teaching general relativity, a subject he admits he did not understand well at the time. Do you find that teaching a topic to someone else helps you to better understand it yourself? Have you ever been inspired with a great idea by trying to teach someone else? Explain your answers.

• I do indeed believe that teaching content to other individuals reinforces your learning. By being able to express your ideas and interpret what you have learnt, you often come to deeper realisations, new ideas, or better interpretations of the works that you have studied, leading you down a path of deeper research.

• Teaching is the best way of learning . while we teach anything we are studying it once again and we will get a lot of ideas about it and much more. and sometimes it may change the whole concept.

• Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • Yes, but it’s not just formal teaching. I find that anytime I try to explain my thoughts to someone that has a slightly different perspective than mine (so almost everyone), my thought process is expanded. If you are trying to get your pint across to someone, you naturally force yourself to see things from what you believe to be their point of reference. I believe this is why teaching is among many activities that provides a deeper understanding.

• It’s called the “casual observer” effect.

• Yes I find that explaining topics to my peers helps me understand what I’m studying better

• Thanks to all the take the time to put all of this together.

• Yes, many studies claim that teaching something helps you understand it better, it is the most effective way to learn something. From my own experience, it is a very good way to learn and help others.

• Yes indeed, I myself have experienced it when I helped one of my friends to clear their backlog in phy by helping then to understand the course better

• I definitely think teaching others is a great way of delving deep into a topic. I am a curious school student and often engage in discussions with my fellow-school mates who often have no idea about black holes or general relativity say. While explaining them, they ask many questions that I haven’t thought of which makes me research more about the topics and it is REALLY FUN TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CURIOUS ABOUT THE COSMOS.

• Teaching challenges oneself to continuously search for the limits of understanding.

• Yes, Indeed! Einstein says “If you can’t simply explain it, you haven’t understood it well enough”. I am very fond of giving lectures to my classmates about these theories and often i don’t have much a grip on one specific topic and while explaining it, it becomes more insightful to you and you can think of it as a whole new idea and that is when one finds inner peace”

• Of course. While discussing the topic on can deepen his knowledge and perhaps the questions are the best part of it.

• It’s a total ‘Yes’.
      There are so many unanswered question which we get in our mind while teaching or even explaining a simple concept of idea to someone, that our brain starts to think in the right direction to get such answers. this leads to enormous amounts of self learning and thought clarity

• When explain a problem-solution to some one it forces me to give a more complete explanation and put it into words. Sometimes I get better understanding.

• Yes! Teaching a topic to someone else, makes our understanding in that topic to be more developed. In my experience, when i tend to recall some topics,which i have learned quite long ago,i would teach that topic to myself. It will seems to be funny but, it works for me all time. this peculiar activity, made me to sum up more topics with better understanding and doesn’t make me tried of studying.

• yes teaching does help, as Richard Feynman said it if you want to be expert in something, teach it.

• Most definitely! I was in an advanced language program which was conducted completely in the target language. In a rotating order, each student had to discuss and teach a topic for one hour. The most difficult thing was teaching the meaning of a new vocabulary word in that language, not falling back on English. By doing that I found ways to better describe very difficult, esoteric concepts in a foreign language and not rely on my native tongue.

• if gravitational waves formed due to distortion or we can say “disturbance” in space-time and it carries some energy so one can conclude that the time between the following steps of a single “graviton” has some relation with energy and also if it do have….. “it feels the time”

• Sure, teaching is a way to deepen once view. Sometimes ones view even changes when taught.

• It is import to review new knowledge you have gained later in time as you then have the chance to apply different concepts you may have not previously known to the problem also explaining something invites you to explore your understanding of it.

• I agree that teaching reinforces our knowledge because we need absolute concept clarity to make someone truly understand it and answer all their questions.

• I just think that the very essence of gravity is not contain in a gravity particle like the graviton. Instead, it is the same notion of feeling the force of gravity by entering the system that continues the gravitational pull would surpass the object being affected by it. For example, if there was no gravity on earth, then like in the moon, the closer we get to a greater object that has a gravitational pull like the sun, the more gravity influence we would perceive the closer we get to the sun. However, since we do have gravity on earth, we don’t perceive the gravitational pull from the sun, for instance tangible to Schwarzschild radius. To verify this, scientist can simulate the absence of gravity on earth, and what would happen if they place the earth closer to the sun, then the gravitational pull of the sun should then overcome the little gravity the earth has in the absence of such gravitational system that we currently have on earth.

• Do you find that teaching a topic to someone else helps you to better understand it yourself?
      Yes, teaching does help better understand a subject or a specific topic. Teaching acts like a lab experiment where you are executing the parameters of the experiment and measuring the impact on the subject. You have to adjust and react to the feedback you are getting from students, whether verbal or non-verbal. In the example from Dr. Wiess, it can be furthering your understanding and helping you truly understand a subject. The craft of knowledge is one that requires teaching, learning, experimenting, and analyzing.
      Have you ever been inspired with a great idea by trying to teach someone else?
      All the time. It comes from hearing and observing through their eyes. What you knew to be true can be tested and tried over and over by students and when you think you have it your great idea can be how to demonstrate the complex topic in simple terms for the room to understand. Formulating precise calculations for complex problems so that you get precise answers needs peer group review and your students act as that peer group review. They are also your feedback loop on experimenting with what will work and not work.

• Indeed,it is true. At some point while teaching it is kind of seeing the thing from other perspective,while studying or researching is commonly the notion of experiencing and explore knowledge, as in teaching phase the objective is to give clarification to the learners, teaching role somehow dissociate oneself from the in-direct participatory phase and thus create a distance from knowledge thus making the entire process of learning more elastic. Thus in the mode of clarification phase explanation deviates from the mainstream framework, and gap that is generated is then filled with something, that if it has a primary strong premise can have high probablity of turning out to be a great idea.

• gravitational waves are really amazing and is a way to travel time in the upcoming future

• i would suggest a litle more of basic mathematics of gravitational waves be introduced
      mathematic is a wonderfull tool, we need your help to learn to start using it again .

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend