1.2 The Powers and Perils of Technology
- Modern technology has led us to alter nature in just a few decades— nature that was hundreds of millions of years in the making.
- Satellite imaging and other technology allow us to observe the harsh impact we’ve had on oceans, air, and land.
- Technology can also be used to help repair damage to the oceans.
- The carbon dioxide we’ve put into the atmosphere has not only warmed, but also acidified the oceans.
- In the northern part of the Great Barrier Reef, over 90% of the coral has bleached. One-third of the Great Barrier reef is protected, but 67% is still open to commercial fishing.
- Fossil fuels have brought us unprecedented prosperity, and that prosperity has allowed us to understand the damage we’re doing through their use.