- Graduates students at MIT are using the lab to observe web structures.
- In the early interactions, the students had to be in the lab for a couple of days to watch the spiders build the webs.
- Now the webs can be remotely scanned.
- This has led to terabytes of data that can be used to reconstruct a web in a 3D model.
- Using a 3D model, the web can be analyzed and manipulated and the spider web can even be turned into a musical instrument.
- A spider web has a lot of strings and when you pluck a string, it makes a sound.
- This has led to creating a new musical instrument that allows scientists to interact with webs and understand what they sound like.