3.2 Designing the World We Want Summary
- Most of biology hasn’t been discovered yet, providing tremendous potential for synthetic biology.
- Professor Endy looks at how to interface with nature, while considering impacts from human population growth, decreases in animal populations, and environmental changes.
- The need to transition from living on Earth to living with Earth is a theme of Professor Endy’s work.
- Nature is currently harvesting 90TW of energy—our civilization runs on 20TW and should, therefore, be able to provide for humanity.
- Biology is already acting as a worldwide distributed nanotechnology.
- Distributed synthetic biology could allow people to act as both the consumers and the producers of products, eliminating the need for most shipping.
- Biology inspires the production of an array of new products from living programmable perfume to interactive health monitors.