World Science Scholars

2.3 Speed

Discussions
Note

Discussions are a place where registered users can click on Reply to share their ideas and questions that follow from the material we’re covering. All users can view the conversation and indicate their like or dislike for a specific comment.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • What direct evidence do we have that the Earth is spinning? After all, much as in the example from the lecture in which George and Gracie are floating in space, we don’t seem to feel the Earth’s motion. (Hint: Is the rising/setting of the sun convincing evidence? Have you ever encountered a Foucault Pendulum?)

• I’m a Post Graduate Physicist. Just trying to learn the way to explain ideas to my students. I know every bit of special relatively.

• Good stuff so far

• Good stuff. Pretty simple but complicated as well

• If the earth were orbiting the sun without spinning then shouldn’t the day and night cycle be different from what we observe?

• We can say Earth is spinning on its axis while revolving round the sun because we experience day and night seperately.If it was not spinning the day and night phenomana i think, would not occur daily , in some place there would be complete darkness and in someplace it would be daytime.

• The effects of coriolis acceleration (hurricanes, etc.)

• We are spinning relative to many other things we can observe in space.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend