World Science Scholars

4.6 Integrated Information Theory

discussion Discussion
Viewing 19 reply threads
    • What would it take for you to consider an artificial intelligence conscious and capable of receiving human rights? Do you believe that computers can ever be conscious? Do you think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness? Explain your answers.

• No. Computers will only ever emulate consciousness. No “bing”.

• Não. Os computadores apenas associarão as nossas formas de pensar pelas pesquisas

• We would need to have a complete understanding what contentiousness actually is. IIT sounds like a step in the right direction however, as expand in this lesson, it sounds more like a description of it’s characteristics than a true understanding.

• No, this is my personal opinion that until we know the physical basis of consciousness we cannot make computers feel conscious. I even feel that natures limitations might come in at some point and certainly at this point that mimicking human consciousness seems impossible because its basic understanding says that its subjective.
      Not only it differs from humans to other animals but also differs among humans to certain level that within ones human life (a normal life without any illnesses) we see different level of consciousness, varying degree of consciousness. As we have studied that there are some basic axioms that show us something is living and one of them is ageing and here we can see how ageing affects consciousness so, we can say that until something is alive it cannot have conscious experience.

• What would it take for you to consider an artificial intelligence conscious and capable of receiving human rights?
      Societal concensus and change in the laws, following persuasive new evidence. They would not necessarily be human rights but something analogous in the rights spectrum.

Do you believe that computers can ever be conscious?
      Yes, because for example one might create a computer out of brain matter or brains or integrate brains and computers.

Do you think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness?
      This is possible because we have often been able to create something e.g. fire without at the time understanding its physical basis. We have also been able to expand consciousness historically through psychotropic drugs without at the time understanding the physical basis.

• I think that just like Dr. Koch addressed in the lecture, if consciousness was truly replicated in the sense that an AI entity had the ability to hold cause-and-effect power over their “mind,” then consciousness might be achieved. I think his answer to “if we could fully stimulate a human brain, would it be conscious?” was interesting. He said there is a profound difference between simulation and experience. The computer’s sensation and perception is created, chosen, and transferred to it by a human programmer, not directed by it’s internal “freewill.”

Do I believe that computers can ever be conscious? I think computer science has the ability to create artificial intelligence with different levels or states of consciousness that arise from maybe a “law” or “constant” that is programmed in it. In other words if we somehow replicate a form of DNA and the computer grows and learns from those rules based off of perceptive experiences. But to be honest, I don’t believe we can ever scientifically define consciousness; I think we will just be able to describe it. I believe we were created by God and bear His image and this is beyond the scope of not only science and physics, but even the philosophy of Descartes.

• What would it take for you to consider an artificial intelligence conscious and capable of receiving human rights?
      AI is computer and is not human, so I would deny human rights for computers.

No. But most certainly computers can simulate consciousness. In future perhaps “better” than humans.

Do you think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness?

Yes we are. However, the exact duplication of human consciousness is not possible. We can build computer consciousness.

• Si nosotros los humanos no podemos entender bien la conciencia dudo que la inteligencia artificial pueda, ya que los parámetros impuestos por el creador serán limitantes,

• Partiendo de hecho que estar consciente refiere a ser consciente que soy y estoy, pienso que una computadora podría simular este estado impuesto por el creador . Una computadora que no posee emociones sensaciones sentimientos no creo que cree empatía Respecto a los derechas humanos

• I would have to first know what consciousness is to answer these questions.

• no, we can’t create conscious artificial intelligence if we don’t even understand our own consciousness in its entirety

• I think that to create a new conscience, it is necessary to be able to know a minimum number of different consciences, and we have not achieved that yet, so yes, I think that at some point we will achieve it, but I don’t know when

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • If my computer asks me a question and I know for sure that it was not programmed to ask that question, then I will suspect that the computer has spontaneously generated that question. I will then suspect the computer has developed a sense of curiosity, which might go hand-in-hand with conciousness. Or suppose the computer simply accesses the internet by itself, without being prompted to, and then announces “hey, I just discovered this article on…” that would perhaps imply conciousness. In fact, it would also imply that the computer has developed a “theory of mind” because it thinks I will be interested to hear what it has just learned.

• Once again, the conclusive answer to these questions must necessarily come back to the defining quality of consciousness: State of awareness from a genuine first-person perspective.

Does the AI computer (such as Samantha in the movie Her, for example) have her own first-person viewpoint? Unfortunately, there is no way to tell. As Rene Descartes reminded us all with “I think, therefore I am,” the only viewpoint that any of us can possibly vouch for is our own.

Does Samantha genuinely have her own thoughts and first-person perspective? Or is she simply playing out an incredibly advanced machine-learning algorithm? Sadly, the only way we’d be able to answer with certainty would be to somehow become her and see whether it actually does “feel like anything” to be Samantha.

Barring this ability to assume her identity, we cannot state one way or the other whether she has her own first-person perspective, regardless of the type of hardware that she has — any more than we can definitively attest to the consciousness of the fellow human beings in our lives who are nearest and dearest to us.

Then again, I don’t rule out the possibility that I might even be simulated! For kicks, see the YouTube video entitled “Is Reality Real? The Simulation Argument,” among many others.

As preposterous as it might initially sound, Nick Bostrom’s Simulation Argument unifies so many radically different models that we have been given for eons, from the days of antiquity straight through modern times — in terms of Plato’s Allegory of the Cave, the Holographic Universe, and the countless philosophical, spiritual, literary, and artistic traditions that have asserted that the world that we think we know so well is ultimately an illusion.

Personally, I believe that the avatar role that I play in this lifetime is an individualized fractal of a much greater whole — a simulated character in a multiverse that expands far and wide beyond this present plane alone.

Indeed … these are some pretty deep thoughts coming from a replicant … lol.

• Artificial consciousness is possible once we understand the prerequisites of our own consciousness.

I am not sure that artifical intelligence conscious is capable of receiving human rights. The machine does not have the same physicological construt that a human does and therefore the rights or laws applicable to such are different. We could minick the consciousness of humans in machines but it would never be exact and should never be afforded the protections we provide in society for human beings.
      For some of the reasoning and logic displayed by Dr. Koch, I do not believe that computers will ever be conscious. They might get better at reading humans and processing the information faster than humans but at a super basic level, it is a 1 and 0 passing through a switch that is giving rise to this machine. What does this in humans (neurons) cannot be replicated exactly?
      No, I do not because I believe that the understanding of the physical basis of our own consciousness is what is defined by consciousness. Meaning it takes that physicological aspect in our to create a “real” conscious and if we don’t have that and we don’t understand that then everything above that is potentially not true. It is the search for the holy grail formula or rule set that will define everything above it to be true.

• What would it take for you to consider an artificial intelligence conscious and capable of receiving human rights? Do you believe that computers can ever be conscious? Do you think we will be able to create artificial consciousness without understanding the physical basis of our own consciousness? Explain your answers.

I’m honestly not against the possibility of AI being conscious, but in order for me to reach a safe level of certainty, we will need a method that will allow us to measure its ability of having a causal influence on itself accurately. It is too early to tell if computers can be conscious or not, I believe that we have to be able to understand the basis of our own consciousness first before we go to that direction, after we understand the basis of our own consciousness, then maybe we can think of a way to create its artificial version.

• En el caso de que se llegase a simular una consciencia con su respectiva capacidad para afectar en sí misma, creo que en ese punto, es probable que sí se genere consciencia. Pero para imitarlo, debe tener detrás un mecanismo físicamente similar al que hay detrás de cualquier consciencia

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion.

Send this to a friend